This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How does wordpress work?
04-30-2013, 10:40 PM
How does wordpress work?
I have a tumblr right now (art blog), but it seems like it's more like the myspace of blogging. I could be totally wrong, but it seems like more so then actual interesting blogs there are people just reblogging and liking blogs to gain followers rather then providing meaningful content. To me it seems more like high school popularity game. I've only been on it a few weeks. Am I right?

I've only been on it a few weeks and I wanted something a bit more serious. I have a video log on youtube to partner along with my blog. Since I just started blogging, I haven't posted that much content yet so it's not too late to switch. I'm thinking of switching to wordpress. How does wordpress work? It is just a posting platform? Do you have to find people to follow you like on tumblr? How do you generally get readers on there?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2013, 10:56 PM

At some point, if you want a professional blog, you are going to need to own your blog and not use anyone else's free platform. You need to have the options to do what you want to do, market in any and all of the ways you can, and succeed without limits. All of that equals one things; Your Own WordPress Blog on your own hosting account.
1. Have your own domain name
2. Have a hosting account that includes WordPress install with it
3. Connect everything you do online to this
Most of the host companies these days will give you a domain name for free with your hosting. You are only looking at $50 to $100 a year for all of it. You will be the one in control and you will own the blog!
The install of WordPress is one click an filling in your site name and login information. From there you can log in, add posts and videos as you like and design it to look the way you want. A quick search will help you find 1000s of free themes you can choose from and even modify to work you want. You will also find an entire community creating plugins to expand the functionality of your WordPress based site.
As for getting people - you will still need to let people know you exist. Post your videos on YouTube with a link back to your site; Use Twitter and Facebook to let people know what you are about and what your latest post has to say; Most importantly become a member of the community your site belongs to. Go to other blogs and forums. Be a part of the discussion there. Add value and include a link to you in your signature. The more people get to know you the more they will want to see what is coming next on your site.
Have fun with it and Good Luck!

Ads

04-30-2013, 11:06 PM

If you are new to the world of blogging you may have asked yourself, "How does WordPress work?" Word Press is actually one of the easiest ways that you can make your own blog or website without any technical knowledge. First, let's talk about adding a new post to your WordPress blog. You will first need to login to your WordPress admin control panel. You can do this by typing in your website address followed by the /wp-admin extension. After you've logged in you will see an option to add a new post on the left side of the page. Here, you will be allowed to enter the title of your new post as part of the body of your new post. You will also be able to enter a description for your post at the bottom of the page. If you want to optimize your post for search engines you can even add tags for your post. In WordPress, there are not any limits on how many tags you can have per post. It is probably a good idea to add five tags per post.

After you have written your post you are ready to publish it. If you have already created categories then you can select which categories you want your post to be published in. No matter which category you publish your post in, the post will still appear on the homepage because it is the newest post. If you want to change or edit your categories you can do this easily by clicking on the categories manager on the left side of the screen. The categories manager in WordPress will allow you to add new categories, edit the names of categories, and even delete a category. If you want to optimize your WordPress blog for search engines than it is very important for you to have several different categories. It is very important for you to understand what a category is. A category is a way to organize posts on your website that may have slightly different topics.

If you want to know how WordPress works then you may be wondering how to add a new page. If you want to add a new page click on the pages button on the left side of the screen. This will allow you to add, edit, or even delete a page on your website. It is important for you to understand the difference between a post and a page. A post can be added to any category while a page is a stand-alone static page of text. Most blog owners on WordPress choose have 4 to 5 pages that give people a way to contact them and give them a little bit of information about the website. Hopefully, this has given you a little bit of insight as to how WordPress works and how you can optimize it for the Google search engine.
04-30-2013, 11:19 PM

Tumblr is used for making your content more popular among the Tumblr contributors. If you want to do professional blogging then go for WordPress. If you choose WordPress then you can have change themes as per your wish. But if you use Tumblr your option to use themes are limited.

I would say, Tumblr is like a star but WordPress is like a sky.