This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How would you write a bible today?
05-01-2013, 09:31 AM
How would you write a bible today?
Would it be a book? A series of short stories? Columns in a soon to be defunct magazine? A blog? Videos on youtube? Tweets on twitter? The latest religions to be created started from books, right? If the books goes electronic is scripture dead as an artform?

Seriously, suppose I'm Joseph Smith or the estate of L Ron Hubbard and I just want to create a new religious paradigm...how do I go about doing that? I figure scripture is the first step...but what's the medium?
Big Cheese - okay smarty pants, how would you initially publish this work?
Val - you misunderstand. The people who wrote the bible we see today were (a) not a single person (b) largely storytellers © not doing it to establish a particular religion - they were simply recording their tribe's history. It only got turned into religion later. Smith and Hubbard showed you could shorten that, Smith because he was a megalomaniac, Hubbard because he was just a hacky writer and was in the writing for the money (and I believe Muhammad fits in the Joseph Smith category as well). It seems that sort of thing is inevitable with humans - how will the current crop of religious iconoclasts publish their founding works? I don't think anybody really writes religious literature with an eye on the long term (except, as I've noted, the historians among the biblical authors).

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2013, 09:32 AM

on a computer.

Ads

05-01-2013, 09:39 AM

A doormat that says : GO AWAY.
05-01-2013, 09:49 AM

You can't rewrite the Bible, God's word is perfect!
05-01-2013, 09:52 AM

Your question is garbled. First you ask how I'd WRITE the bible and then go on to enumerate different mediums. How would I write the bible today? A pen and paper or perhaps on a computer.
05-01-2013, 10:00 AM

All of the above.

If I were to write a bible, I'd use every medium to my advantage in order to gain more followers.
05-01-2013, 10:01 AM

Youtube videos. Attention spans for the average person is about 30 seconds IF you have an AMAZING presentation.
05-01-2013, 10:17 AM

None, the written word is too open for misunderstanding. Especially when it is translated from language to language. The meanings of words change very rapidly, you only have to look at the word gay to understand. It has gone from meaning happy, to homosexual, to something being lame, in just a few decades. Multiply that by several thousand years and you will see how too easy it is to get the wrong end of the stick.

Do your decendents a favour by not polluting thier minds with your bollox. Smile

Practicing Shaman... quantum physics rocks.