This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you use social networking sites to promote a local business?
10-12-2012, 08:50 AM
How do you use social networking sites to promote a local business?
I am marketing director for a local music instruction business. I would love to harness the power of social networking sites to bring in more customers, but from what I understand, those sites are best used for when you have a business for the online community.

(Of course, I understand the HUGE companies using this form of marketing, and those looking for employment... but what about the small, brick and mortar?)

What do you all think?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 08:58 AM

Its an idea and thought all business holders have and a good one. The problem is that people who are on these sites are only interested in promoting their business and less interested about yours.

A great suggestion is to yes still join those sites, don't psam, follow the rules and BUILD contacts along the way. As you build contacts try to take an interest in you contacts biz and tell them how your's can help theirs together.

Also do what other business holders do - they do use free sites - make use of them. Many sites ( but not all) allow the advertising of businesses.

Directories:
http://www.dmoz.com

Free Classifieds Online accepting Biz:
http://www.sellit-right.com
http://www.classifieds.com
http://www.loot.com

Another idea is to create your own unique social network allowing other businesses to join you- with your company, content etc beingy at the top obviously because you'd own it.

The key is to never give up and if eBay didn't or Facebook didn't you shouldn't too! They all started small and probably with people rejecting their services at first lol.

Ads

Could you use your social networking sites on your business cards or marketing materials? The social networking site would allow "friends" of the business to have a fast and easy way to find you. Create social sites everywhere so you appeal to everyone's preference (or at least as many as possible).

Send out weekly bulletins (like on myspace) or emails to your "friends" highlighting the accomplishments of the instructor's students, or something that makes the "friend" curious enough to check out the website (make sure you can legally link the website to your bulletins).

Link your social networking sites to your business's web page where you offer a newsletter written by the music instructor so s/he is easily remembered when a friend of your "friend" asks for a reference.

Of course, all of this STILL relies on actual footwork. You've GOT to get your marketing materials to the LOCAL outlets and people for any type of viral networking to start.

There's my 2cents.

Don't limit yourself to just the social networking sites on line. There are many for both niche groups and business people in general. Join both types and make sure that you are taking the time to answer peoples questions and offer help. Visit them often too. That is how you will get referrals.

What I find is big for me is joining local groups,e.g. the Chamber of Commerce, Leads Group, doing volunteer work.

If you are doing music instructions hit those schools and make an offer to the parents for a discount (sorry, that was a no-brainer), do free events at the public library, get your name and your company's name out there. Don't forget that holidays are coming, what a perfect gift to give someone 10 piano lessons for Christmas! People have to see/hear about you at least 7 times before they pick up the phone or come and visit.

Find out what the other local music instruction schools are doing and one-up them. Think outside of the box.

Market, market, market!

People need to know you are there, that you are nice (emotions move everything), and that you have everything that meets their needs.

I hope this helps you.

I am on linkedin.com, you should consider joining that on-line professional networking group. I get about a referral a week and people call/email me all of the time for just information. This keeps me on their list of "go to" people. Now, if I knew you I would sell your services (especially if you were local) because I don't know anyone in music instruction but I know a ton of people with children and adults who have a wish to learn how to play the piano. I do know someone in musical instruments repair though.

I hope I helped you out. Happy Marketing!