This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
anime recommendations for a newbie?
05-01-2013, 10:28 PM
anime recommendations for a newbie?
I like romantic and a bit funny anime's. Preferably with a good English dub but it doesn't really matter. I enjoyed the Sailor Moon series and want to know if there are any others like it? Thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2013, 10:44 PM

I would recommend you One Piece, but it's total fun. If you want some romantic and funny, maybe Bleach. But i DON'T recommend Naruto, it's not funny or romantic, it's not good at all. Maybe you can try the Lucky Star too, it's a good one.

Ads

05-01-2013, 10:56 PM

I think you should try Golden Boy, its the story of Kintaro, who is a wandering student that gets into funny lady troubles every episode. The english version is quite nice, but be warned, the show has a lot of sexual connotations to it. Hope you watch it.
05-01-2013, 11:09 PM

hi there! since you are new to the world of anime, may i suggest some maintstream romance/comedy ones? (you can never go wrong with mainstream... unless of course it gets TOO mainstream) anyway!
you'd want to check out:

Ouran High School host club- Ouran High is a school for the extremely wealthy or, in Haruhi's case, the extremely talented. But no amount of talent will help when Haruhi accidentally drops an eight million yen vase in a music room. The vase was the property of Ouran High School Host Club, a group of attractive young men who, for a fee, provide their time and affections for their lovesick clientele: the female students. Fascinated by this strange new specimen, a poor and clumsy commoner, they force Haruhi to work for them until the debt is repaid; but they get a lot more than they bargained for...

Fruits Basket- Tohru Honda is a compassionate girl who is down on her luck. Her mother having recently died, she has been forced to camp out in the woods for shelter. However, things start to turn around once she is invited to live with class hunk Yuki Sohma and his family... but all is not as it seems! Yuki's family is burdened with a dark curse which causes them to turn into the animals of the Chinese zodiac once hugged by a member of the opposite sex... and Honda may be the only one who can help them.

Kimi ni Todoke- Sawako Kuronuma is just like any other high school girl who wants to make friends and be useful. The only problem is she bears a worrying resemblance to Sadako from 'The Ring!' Because of her reputation, people are not only terrified of her, but small dogs even bark in fear at her presence; in fact, the only person in school who will talk to her is the lively class hottie, Kazehaya. As the pair spends more time together, Kazehaya slowly begins to bring Sawako out of her shell and soon their feelings for each other develop further. Though with her crippling insecurities, lack of social skills, and a series of cruel rumors and misunderstandings, it seems that Sawako's dream of a normal life won’t be quite so easy to obtain.

Lovely Complex- Lovely Complex is a story of a boy and a girl. The girl, Koizumi Risa, is much taller than the average Japanese girl; and the boy, Atsushi Otani, is much shorter than the average Japanese boy. Due to their immense difference in size and constant bickering with each other, the duo is unwillingly the school’s comic relief. As Risa and Otani continue to provide endless laughter for the masses, their friendship develops; and with that, so does Risa’s feelings for Otani...

La Corda D'oro- Hino Kahoko is a sophomore at a high school which caters to both general students, and the musically elite. On the first day of class, Hino meets a fairy named Lili and is entrusted with a magical violin; this violin has the ability to express the music in someone’s heart, even if they do not possess the talent for playing the instrument. With the violin in her care, Hino must now compete in a musical competition, but the guilt of not having true musical talent consumes her. Lili’s dream is to bring happiness to people with music, but Hino isn’t sure she has what it takes to be the one to do it. Can Hino perservere, or will she abandon Lili’s dream?

and while not so known, i've found quite a few that prove to be just as good... and just as hilarious:

Library War- The government has passed the Media Betterment Act, establishing a military police force to stop the spread of "negative influences harmful to society;" and in response, libraries have organized their own military units to protect freedom of expression. After being saved by a Library Defense Force agent in a bookstore, Kasahara is inspired to enlist in the Library Defense Force. Although she proves quite athletic and capable, she must endure the harsh but meaningful training of her instructor and superior officer, Doujou. As she learns how to be a good soldier, she participates in LDF operations, helping protect literary freedom for everyone

Gokusen- Is it is possible to lead the yakuza and be a high school teacher at the same time? Kuniko has always dreamed of being a teacher, but as the heir of the Oedo Group it isn't easy to do. Her task is made even more difficult because her school would fire her if they found out about her criminal activities.She has to pretend to be an ordinary teacher while fighting off rival yakuza, winning the respect of delinquent students and keeping her family business away from the school. This becomes even harder when her smartest and most curious student begins to find her very... "interesting".
05-01-2013, 11:19 PM

Tokyo Mew Mew is a funny and romantic anime that's very similar to Sailor Moon.

Some other series you might also like:

Clannad - Romantic,funny but also very sad at times. Has another season called Clannad: After Story and both of them are dubbed. It's a MUST watch if you're into romance anime.

Kanon (2006) - Very similar to Clannad. Has English dub.

Toradora - Very sweet and funny. No English dub though.
05-01-2013, 11:30 PM

oh my! I got a hell lot of animes in my list...The first one who made me interested in animes is "Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne"...then the anime which I recommended to the friends that made them addicted to it is "Kaichou wa maid sama"
*I recommend these first two to you since you're a starter but if you would like to watch a lot more, Just email me =^.^= I watched 32 animes and read 100+ mangas(anime comics) so far
05-01-2013, 11:46 PM

I recommend these Smile

Ouran Highschool Host Club
Kaichou wa Maid-sama
Special A
Fruits Basket
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Kamisama Hakimemashita
Sukitte Ii na yo.
The Wallflower