This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am I in a relationship that is leading to abuse?
05-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Am I in a relationship that is leading to abuse?
My boyfriend and I have been on and off for over a year now and we're finally getting our problems under control and getting more serious. Well he's gotten really protective lately. On facebook guys comment on my photos saying he's a lucky guy and how beautiful and pretty I am. He gets upset and goes off on me about it. Sometimes he says I'm too nice to guys and he doesn't like it when I hang out with them and asked me to stop hanging out with a few. Everytime he picks me up from school, he walks up to me and pulls me really close to him and kisses me almost forcefully in front of everyone. He's gone off on a few guys because they have been "too friendly". If I don't text him back or call him back within a certain amount of time he gets mad and I can't tell if it's because he's worried or possessive.. Can anyone help me? I just need advice.. he just seems really possessive and I don't know if it's a phase or if I should be concerned...
Thank you all so far for the answers.
I've talked to him about already and he said he's just so afraid to lose me and he's in love with me and he wants us to be really serious. I don't mind if he talks to other girls but he doesn't. He stopped talking to all of them in the past month unless they are related. Many of them have messaged me complaining and asking why he stopped. I asked and he said because he only wants to talk to me.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2013, 11:39 PM

Too possessive, break up.

Ads

05-01-2013, 11:40 PM

It's hard to say... I had a guy who didn't care at all. Turned out he wasn't scared to lose me at all. So possessiveness would have been a nice change. I think he is insecure and you might want to talk to him about it and reassure him that you are his and only his. No guy I have dated has been okay with me hanging out with other guys. I wouldn't feel comfortable if a guy I was with was going out with friends of his if they are female either... Ask yourself, If he was getting all the compliments, if he was hanging out with girls etc would you feel like you would want to hold onto him tighter? Food for thought Smile
05-01-2013, 11:52 PM

He's entirely too obsessive. You're entitled to your own space and you can talk to whoever you wish to. It is not his life, it is yours. You have allowed him to become a part of that, and he should understand there are boundaries.

I can't really say for sure if it is leading to an abusive relationship; I do know he needs to respect your decisions and your lifestyle.
05-01-2013, 11:58 PM

ask him why he's so protective and tell him you love him and only him so not to be worried about you talking to other guys and if hes still being stupid tell him your fed up of it and its bringing you down because you feel under pressure as to who you can be friends with and that's not fair and say you'll have to end it with him if he keeps on like this because its making you miserable
05-01-2013, 11:59 PM

There are two major red flags in his treatment of you:

If he treats you as a possession of his that requires defending, doesn't that indicate a lack of trust in you when left to your own resources? Does it not also indicate his view of your relationship as him being master with you as the slave of his desires? In either case, you end up being something less than his equal partner. That kills more relationships than it ever saves. So! Which are you going to end up being? His enabler? Or his moment of truth that enables him to be worthy of the love offered him?

In terms of Transactional Analysis, where do you believe his actions and attitudes places your relationship as it is presently unfolding?

I'm O. K. -- She's O. K.
I'm O. K. -- She's Not O. K.
I'm Not O. K. -- She's O. K.
I'm Not O. K. -- She's Not O. K.

Of course, the ideal relationship would fall into the first category.
The fourth category guarantees the relationship is assuredly doomed to failure.
The second and third portend probable failure.

Think of this from the neck up and the heart out, rather than from the waist down, and prudence along with common sense will probably lead you to the realization that your best long range interest would be better served by seeking the companionship of one who would make such considerations unnecessary to begin with.

If he lacks confidence in your place in the living of his life, why should you have confidence in his place in the living of yours? I see codependence where there should be love. Why don't you?