This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I want to work in Marketing & Public Relations for Fashion is this the best way?
10-12-2012, 09:14 AM
I want to work in Marketing & Public Relations for Fashion is this the best way?
I can see myself working for a fashion company doing their advertisements/graphic designs/finding pieces/buying etc. im doing a marketing degree now then finishing with fashion communication which is digital media & oral/written communication is this the best way what would some plan b's be? and would I need a diploma in PR?

I am also learning disabled. (good at writing/tech/social studies) math/science not my strong point.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 09:22 AM

I would suggest you to learn from the web. Your qualification is good enough.

You might want to follow few good tech and business blogs and news sites like Mashable, TechCrunch, BusinessWeek, Economist etc. This will enhance your knowledge base of the industry.

Obviously, if you are looking at Fashion Industry, you got to follow one or more magazines from this vertical.

Ads

10-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Your question is interesting. You definitely have laid a very solid academic ground for yourself if this is what you want to pursue. Academically, this is a great preparation.

However, the good and bad thing about your situation is that you are picking a career that is not AS concerned about your undergraduate coursework/major/concentration. Marketing and PR traditionally values people skills and personality above all else (given that every applicant is capable of project management and good work ethic). The fashion industry is a beast in its own right; it's very rarely about what you've studied or how well you did in school. Fashion is about who you know. It is about actively networking to meet industry professionals and hopefully sitting down for coffee or in a conference room to chat about potential opportunities.

To answer your question, you're definitely doing every right so far. Don't get me wrong; your current academic pursuits WILL set you apart from other applicants. However, in my experience there have been too many instances where the strong person-to-person connection in an interview room or a simple casual chat at a networking event far trumps the experience/academic factor.

At your age, experience plays a much more minor role than what it will play later on. Right now, it's about proving to people in the field that you are enthusiastic, quick to learn and easy to work with. This is especially true for marketing and PR in the fashion industry.

Good luck and I hope this helps!