This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it safe to use paypal with linux mint?
05-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Is it safe to use paypal with linux mint?
I recently installed linux mint 11 and noticed there is no Anti Virus software for it. currently I'm not running wine to run windows programs. so that being said is it safe to use sensitive sites like paypal/facebook/hotmail? or is there a high risk of my passwords being stolen?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 01:19 AM

There is less risk than Windows/Mac, so yes it is safe.

Ads

05-04-2013, 01:29 AM

Far, far safer than Windows or Mac for sure, but:
They all use the same protocols for web work (using the Internet) and as such, can still be vulnerable to web based trickery...like DNS hacks, JavaScripted clickjacks & cross site scripting, and so on.
Using Firefox, with "NoScript" greatly reduces these JavaScript exploits, even on a Linux system.
Also note that there are updates to Linux systems...they are not completely flawless.
Make sure to make these adjustments to your install.

Using the Internet for on-line tasks demands you keep aware of all phases of potential trouble, no matter what OS.
05-04-2013, 01:32 AM

Absolutely. I carry around a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS LiveCD for tasks such as online banking in case I need to use a computer that is not my own

LUg.