This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
methods of promoting and advertising a hair salon?
05-05-2013, 01:27 PM
methods of promoting and advertising a hair salon?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2013, 01:38 PM

There's lots of ways to advertise and promote a business! I just finished a Cert IV in this kind of thing, good to put it to use Tongue First you have to have some kind of budget or limit on what you are willing to spend. You can advertise in any way that you feel would reach potential customers easier, this can be posters, newspaper ads or radio ads, anything like that. Also, you can use promotions such as limited time discounts or offers. You could do something like "Tuesday is $20 for all haircuts." (That's just an example.) There's really no limit of things that you could do, you just need an idea of who you want to reach, how far you want to reach and how much you have to spare in a budget Smile Good luck!

Ads

05-05-2013, 01:40 PM

flyers, giftcards, stamps on a card and the 10th haircut for free, professional advice about haircut and stuff, newspaper advertisement...
05-05-2013, 01:51 PM

Free hair cuts!
05-05-2013, 01:59 PM

JC Penny's offers a free month of Kids Under 12 get free hair cuts! That brings in a parent, who can then be dazzled and perhaps talked into their own haircut! (If nothing else, it gives them a chance to evaluate you.)

You didn't mention what all products and services you'll be offering. This is very important, IMHO. You want people to think they're going to get something there that no one else is offering. It doesn't matter that everyone else *IS*; it's in how you word it. Think of wording it in a way that they think about how they'll FEEL. That's #1 in advertising.
Also, will this be a regular-type salon, or are you trying to get the high-paying customers? I couldn't afford $150/pop everytime I went to the salon, but my boss could! He went to a sheik-looking place with glamorous-looking people and fancy everything. I go to moderately-priced places that don't have to look that way. (In fact, if it looks too fancy, the price probably goes along with it, which scares me off.) The main ways I've been brought in have been through word of mouth and promotions. What's kept me there is excellent service and personality. (I never go back to a cosmetologist that spent more time talking to others than to me. I don't want to feel uncomfortable when getting my hair cut. I want to feel special.)
That being said, I think I can give you some ideas that are in my head:
Do real footwork before you even open your doors. If your doors are already open and you want a revitalization, you could still offer a New Revue Grand Re-Opening. (Just be sure to change a few things, so you don't confuse current customers!)
Anyway, get out and talk to heads of companies and social clubs. Offer to give their members a 20% off if they come in between the 15th and 17th of this month, just as an example.
And just like you came on here to ask questions, don't forget that nowadays everybody turns to the INTERNET, for everything! That includes Reviews. If you aren't on any review sites yet, CONTACT THEM! People are computer-savvy and do internet research when they want to know how a certain business or product is. So ask YOUR customers to PLEASE go to the site and rave about your salon. And keep checking on the reviews from time to time, so you can change what people don't like.
What else... Others have already suggested marketing strategy like Every 10th Haircut, etc., which is great for loyalty.
OHHHHH I know... EMAIL LIST. My favorite places offer email promotions. They keep customers abreast of various upcoming changes and promotions, depending. Perhaps you want to have a little 'newsletter' each month, where you bring up changing styles, such as, "What is ombre?" Always end it with something special about WHY they want to get back in to see YOU, such as, "Come in before the 15th and receive a special sample of our new XYZ shampoo."
I'm running out of ideas that the other gals didn't already mention, LOL. How about offering something small for anybody who refers a client? And don't forget to GREET each customer AS SOON AS they come in the door, even if they can't be seen just yet. Make them feel welcome and special. The salons I've been in -- and returned to -- did exactly that. If they weren't going to remember me next time, I forgot them, too. Because to me, any many women, that's part of the salon experience.
I hope this has helped. If not, there are plenty of great ideas here. I'm going to see if I can find you a couple links online that help with marketing, as well.
Have you ever watched Tabatha Takes Over? She's GREAT at getting people in the door. I found a place online where you can watch some of her episodes. Maybe get some great ideas from her.
05-05-2013, 02:11 PM

I think making a page on Facebook is your best bet. Every second person is using social media, and it really is the way forward. All I see on my newsfeed are my friends 'liking' salon pages here there and everywhere. Add pictures of examples of your work, and some pictures of the salon, along with information about prices, location and what you offer.

Also, flyers are a good idea, just bombard folk with them in the street and hopefully you'll get some custom that way.

Word of mouth works as well. Ask your customers to tell their friends if they've had a good experience!

Giveaways work too - I know your business needs to make money, but if you offer something like 10% off for new customers then people might be more likely to come to you.

Good luck!