This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's a better pet, Rats, or Mice?
05-05-2013, 07:23 PM
What's a better pet, Rats, or Mice?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2013, 07:31 PM

The answer to this question all comes down to your preference really.
Obviously mice are smaller, rats are bigger. Both generally have a wide variety of colours to choose from. Both are cheap pets.
I honestly prefer rats. They're less fiddly, harder to lose lol.
Go for a female in either kind as they stink less (even though they shouldn't smell too bad aslong as your cleaning their cage regularly)
Just take a trip down o the pet shop and see which one stands out to you more.
Goodluck Smile

Ads

05-05-2013, 07:45 PM

I have never had a mouse but rats are such wonderful pets. They are a lot like dogs. They are very sociable and loving. I love them so much.
05-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Maybe a dog or cat
05-05-2013, 08:06 PM

I Prefer Rats, you can train them ( as far as how, i assume kinda like a dog). I find them smarter than mice.
05-05-2013, 08:14 PM

I own both and rats are the best. Mice just run around but rats bond to you just like a dog or cat. They will come running for attention when mice would just hide. Bonding takes time but I would take rats over even dogs now. Also whichever you choose, get 2, and get females. They both can get very depressed alone but males can and will fight to the death. Female rats, when kept together, will bond to you better than one and be best friends. Also both will play fight a lot and it can be very loud and look violent but they will all most never really fight. Good luck.
05-05-2013, 08:22 PM

well that depends on you.

rats are larger, more docile, less likely to bite, and calmer and tamer by nature.
they also, despite their larger size, smell less than mice.

however rats need a LOT more time and attention, and take up a lot more space as they need a huge cage.

if you have the space, funds, and time for them, a pair (or more) of rats are more rewarding.

but mice are really cute too, and are ideal if you're more limited for space or can't afford a $100 + cage.

mice ARE intelligent, although not as intelligent as rats, but are harder to train because they take more work to win their trust.

rats form stronger social bonds to you.
05-05-2013, 08:24 PM

rats.
05-05-2013, 08:39 PM

When debating between a mouse or a rat there are several things that you should consider before making a purchase.

Naturally, rats get larger than mice and require a larger cage. Larger cages are more expensive than smaller cages. And, with a larger cage, you have to have somewhere to put it. Do you have room for a medium - large sized cage?

When it comes to diet, nothing is different. Rats and mice have the same diet. You can purchase rat/mouse food at your local petstore and feed it to either a rat or a mouse. You do want to consider the brand of food. Where Kaytee Forti-Diet maybe be great in the sense of it's for hamsters, gerbils, mice, and rats, so if you already have a hamster or a gerbil, you, technically, could purchase this and feed either a mouse or a rat, too. But, with this particular food, it is high in fat, and should not be used as a staple diet. Seeded diets are not the best for rats, as they too, are fatty. You're best best is to find a rat/mouse block.

Personally, I feel that mice have a stronger odor than rats do.

Female rats and mice will smell less than male rats and mice, but I have three female rats in one cage, and one male mouse in another. My one, small male mouse smells worse than my three. larger female rats.

If you clean the cage out weekly, the smell will be reduced. I have to clean, or at least rinse, everything in my mouse's cage in order to reduce the smell to near nothing.

SOCIALIBILITY

This may be the biggest concern when deciding between a rat or a mouse.

Mice will play on you and around you, but not with you. Rats will play on you, around you, and with you, but only if socialized properly. Rats are friendlier than mice when it comes to people interaction, but that does not always mean that they will always play with you.

If you're looking for a sit on the couch and watch tv pet, neither will sit for long periods of time and hang out, but a rat would be the better option of the two.

If you're interested in more than one mouse or more than one rat, both are social towards their own kind. It's best to house two females (mice or rats), versus two males. Although, it's not impossible to have two males housed together, sometimes, it can create territorial concerns. When housing two males together, you;re best bet is to bring home two males together, versus introduce one at a later time. I personally, think that you're best bet is to stick with two females of either mice or rats.

Personally I think you should buy 1 female black rat and 1 female gray rat. Definitly get females, as the males are sleepy and more smelly.