This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
why is asl considered rude?
10-12-2012, 11:17 AM
why is asl considered rude?
honestly, i do not engage in social media that much.

But i saw the term asl on a website (demotivational picture site), after looking further into it i discovered it meant "age/sex/location" but on the site that told me a description it also stated that basically anyone who used that acronym was either an idiot, rapist and/or serial killer.
I am curious, why is that acronym shunned?
I understand that it could be because immediately asking those questions to a stranger could be seen as the thing a killer would do, but i suppose if i was talking to someone i didnt know on a chat site i would want to at least know their name and age.

I hope i havent offended anyone by asking this question, and i dont come off as a pervert or anything. (the site i looked at was quite strong in their depiction of people who use "asl" on chat sites)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 11:25 AM

It's fine go ahead and use the term

Ads

Anyone dumb enough to give that info online, especially in a 'chat' site, is ASKING for trouble.

PS; Why would anyone want to give that info to ANYONE, period?

Why not say:

"I'm a [guy/girl] from [country/region] where are you from?"
"Cool, I'm [age], how old are you?"

It's called having a conversation to get to know somebody.

ASL is indeed rude, as most of the times intent behind asking asl is to talk to a person of opposite sex. Now, consider an anonymous portal with 95% males - what does asl have for it? Disconnect, unless you frame up that you are a girl.

There are portals such as http://www.zumbl.com which claims that there you can virtually say Goodbye to ASL because of the comprehensive profiles that they create. Worth trying out, I guess.