This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The mobile devices I have at home have inconsistent wifi?
05-06-2013, 09:23 PM
The mobile devices I have at home have inconsistent wifi?
I have a Samsung Galaxy S plus, an iPod touch 4th generation, various Windows laptops and netbooks at home, and a D-link router (Model DSL-2642B). The wifi's usually completely fine with the laptops and netbook, but in the past few months, it was getting unreliable with my Samsung phone, and ever since I got my iPod last Christmas, the wifi on it's always been unreliable, just like my phone. Before I got my iPod, I'd assumed it was because I'd dropped my phone a few too many times, as all the other internet devices were working fine. But now I'm assuming my wireless router's getting a bit bad... though it's two years old.

Our landline, which is connected to the same wire going to our jackpoint as the router (there is a splitter in the line), had been getting static and unclear connections, so we called our internet and phone service provider, and after long discussions, apparently they fixed something on their end, and the static disappeared. (I am in New Zealand, so I have different companies and stuff from the US).

However, the router's performance never changed. Using my iPod as an example: I can be using Facebook messenger. Suddenly, in the middle of a conversation, new messages would be unable to load, and the orange message saying unable to make a connection or reach servers or something, would come up. Throughout, the signal indicator near the top left would remain at full bars or close to. And when I deliberately turn off the wifi, Facebook messenger will show a red message, saying No internet connection. This is similar with other apps, with new content not loading. My fix, that usually works, but occasionally doesn't, is to turn on airplane mode then turn it off, or to
turn the wifi off then on. I used this fix on both my Android and my iPod. I have also tried refreshing my router, but that has little to no effect. I have also tried switching bands... but that didn't provide any improvement.

The wifi used to always be fine with my netbook and other laptops, but in the last few weeks/month, it's been getting unreliable too, though nowhere near as often as my Android and my iPod. Those would need have their wifi refreshed up to 5 or more times on a bad day, around 2 on a good day.

Could it be that my router is broken/wearing out, or would it be an external problem? I know my area has ancient copper wires... And we have had problems before with our phone/broadband connection between the house and the street when it rained very hard, however, in our latest call to Telecom, they assured us it was fine. Our router is two years old... I have tried opening it up to find problems by prying it open, but it appears to be glued or stuck together in some permanent way. I can't find instructions for it on the internet either, and I don't want to risk cracking it prying it open too forcefully.

So if it is a router problem, is there some fix, or would I need to get a new one? Or is it most likely an external problem?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2013, 09:24 PM

wow... now that was a long read... whew

i would reboot the router and then reboot the phones...work now?

if not, disable any WEP or password on the router... work now???

if not... get a new router...

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply