This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I host my own website on my own servers?
05-08-2013, 04:40 PM
How do I host my own website on my own servers?
I wish to host my own website but I want it to be hosted by my own hardware. How do I do this? The site that I'm hosting will not use high graphics nor will it have too many visiters (maybe 5-10 visitors at a time).

What kind of internet plan would I need to buy to host this website? What kind of hardware would I have to buy, would i have to configure it a special way?

And just an extra question, how do the big sites like google and facebook get their extremely fast internet connection, is it like a special plan for big companies or something?

Thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 04:51 PM

It most likely depends on who you use for your isp. You need to tell them what you plan to do - they may not allow it on a residential plan, and you might be forced to go to a business plan, my particular isp allows it for an additional couple of hundred a month, on top of the business plan. If you want the business plan, you MUST be incorporated. You have to tell them in order to register your domain name with their nameservers.

No additional hardware is needed really. It doesn't take much to run your own site, unless you were to have a ton of sites on the server, then you would need top of the line stuff. Your computer must be on 24/7. It's also a heck of alot cheaper to use a shared webhosting company.

Companies like Facebook and Google use datacenters to host their servers across the world. How their internet works, I'm not sure but I can be reasonably sure that they spend millions for it, just like they do their servers and datacenters.

Ads

05-08-2013, 04:55 PM

It is cheaper to start out with a host site such as Godaddy.com

You still need to purchase a domain name from some where use referral code WOWLUBY for 20%

Get a static IP address form your ISP Internet service provider

build a website on your computer and have a good firewall and security software from hackers

purchase a template unless you smart and built a database server to run user logins

a host site would be cheaper
05-08-2013, 05:01 PM

I think you want to build a private server, building a private server is very expensive, would be better if you use VPS so you don't have to buy your own hardware and still have root access of your entire webste
05-08-2013, 05:13 PM

On your own servers? That would cost a lot. The norm is to use shared servers, ie lots of people sharing the same servers. If your site is only going to have between 5 and 10 visitors at a time, stick with shared hosting. Your wallet will thank you. I can recommend http://youfreehosting.com. They've always treated me well.
05-08-2013, 05:26 PM

Hi Henry

I would also go for hostgator.com. I use this one as well and had no problems at all. If you want to pay montly it starts at around $7 per month. This is a really good hoster with lots of options to use. And it is very easy to install software like wordpress.
In addition you also need your own domain name.