This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Your webcam may be used by another application. Close the application to start video streaming. Help please?
05-09-2013, 05:01 AM
Your webcam may be used by another application. Close the application to start video streaming. Help please?
I have a Dell N5110 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and the webcam is built-in. I have also tested with an external USB webcam, but I get the same results.

So far I have uninstalled/reinstalled the webcam, updated the drivers and tried the regedit fix posted by Igor at the link below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Foru...0ab5578b6/

I've done a clean boot, checked the Task Manager for programs that may be using it, as well as checked the Process Explorer.

The error in the title appears when opening Dell Webcam Central and Skype. At testmycam.com, I get a blank white screen. However, when I run Webcam Diagnostics at the link below under the 64-bit setting it works on the Video Capture page. The 32-bit does not. I checked the program files, Skype and Dell Webcam Central are 32-bit. I've never had an issue using my webcam with either of these until a few weeks ago and I cannot think of any major changes I have made to the system since then.

http://www.fivesign.com/downloads/progra...fChecked=1

I'm a bit confused about what to do next so any help would be appreciated. Let me know if any more information is required as I'm sure I forgot something. Again thanks in advance for any help.
I've seen that solution posted elsewhere, I forgot to mention that I do not have the facial recognition program on my machine. Thanks for the help so far though.
I've tried that before, but I gave it another shot and it still didn't work. Thanks for the help so far though.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2013, 05:02 AM

Hello, I am Nitika from the Dell Social Media outreach team.
As you have alreday done so many troubleshooting steps which is appreciated.

You ar egetting error that your webcam may be used by another application so what you can do is check if some application is ruuning in the background.

check if you are running a face recognition program for logging in to Windows .

please right-click on the app (FastAccess Face Recognition) and temporarily disable it - the Dell Webcam Central will work fine. Afterwards just re-enable the face recognition app.

If in case you do face any challenges in the process, please feel free to contact me directly by sending me a private message or by through a reply to this blog.
We would recommend you do not post your private information on a public forum .

Thanks & Regards
DELL_NITIKA_K
Dell Social Media Responder

Please try the below mentioned steps and also make sure that no third party application running in the bacground such as PICASA,SKYPE,YOCAM.....

Go to your Device Manager
click the plus sign next to Imaging Devices
Select Integrated Webcam.
Right click that and select Update Driver Software.

Download the latest driver it found and restart your computer
I hope this helps you.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply