This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it common to go through life simply not wanting friends but still a nice person?
05-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Is it common to go through life simply not wanting friends but still a nice person?
I am a nice person but in suffering with anxiety when trying to get through the workday I am not intrested in having friends right now and haven't been since high school. I have distant friends via Facebook and people I am nice to as I am very friendly, sometimes even a little too friendy. I am also very close to family, especially family members older then me. But, outside family I do not socialize. Is this somewhat normal? My maternal grandfather worries I am going to die alone one day from not having any life. I travel alone also though sometimes I am with my father or father and grandparents.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2013, 08:42 AM

No its not common. Generally people in society have huge personal insecurities that require them to need other people's company just so they don't have to face themselves. If you die alone, so what? Ask yourself are you happy? If you are, forget what others say.

Ads

05-09-2013, 08:48 AM

I make friends and people let me down.. I dont know how much effort or expectation to put into knowing someone.. So I often dont try..
i dont want to be alone though.. but i am ALWAYS ALONE
05-09-2013, 08:55 AM

Human beings like most mammals are social creatures
http://grattan.edu.au/static/files/asset...cities.pdf
http://www.aipmm.com/anthropology/2010/0...mals-1.php

To quote Aristotle -
“Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human. Society is something that precedes the individual. Anyone who either cannot lead the common life or is so self-sufficient as not to need to, and therefore does not partake of society, is either a beast or a god. ”

"The term "schizoid" coined in 1908 by Eugen Bleuler designates a human tendency to direct attention toward one's inner life and away from the external world, a concept akin to introversion in that it was not viewed in terms of psychopathology. Bleuler labeled the exaggeration of this tendency “schizoid personality". Characterized by a lack of interest in social relationships, a tendency towards a solitary lifestyle, secretiveness, emotional coldness and apathy. Description of observable schizoid behaviors, which he organized into three groups of characteristics:
1.unsociability, quietness, reservedness, seriousness, eccentricity
2.timidity, shyness with feelings, sensitivity, nervousness, excitability
3.pliability, honesty, indifference, silence, cold emotional attitudes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_pe...y_disorder

Extreme introversion - http://www.schizoids.info/
“defined by underactivity, slowness, lack of conversation, lack of friends, avoidance of others, carelessness about appearance, and lack of interests”
Avolition - (lack of motivation) avolition for daily-life and social activities
Asociality (lack of a desire to form relationships)
Affect - (lack of expression) blunted, flat deficit in emotion
A core defect in emotional experience, at a higher level, caused poor motivation, which was observable as indifference and lack of interest. The affective deficit drove an absence of pleasure (anhedonia) from activities and, more fundamentally, an absence of boredom, which together caused the “complete loss of volitional impulse.” The absence of a “desire for activity” produces the indifference to the external world and to themselves