This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I gain trust back in my parents?
05-09-2013, 12:40 PM
How do I gain trust back in my parents?
I screwed up and I screwed up bad this time. Last year in February of 2012, my dad saw that I had a FaceBook account. He and my mom told me that I can't have one and its dangerous. So he deactivated it. I reactivated it but didn't post anything. In November of 2012, I started posting again. After that I became a frequent user again. This whole time my dad thought I didn't have one. Earlier tonight he got a hold of my phone and saw a FaceBook notification because I use the app. He told me to wait in his room while he went through it and examined my activity. He came to me a few minutes later and said "Why did you lie to me?" I told him that I knew I would get in trouble. He said "I have lost all respect for you and you have lost all the trust I had for you."
Now I feel super bad. He said that its not the fact that I reactivated it, its the fact that I lied to him about it. What can I do to earn that trust back? Because I have a very good relationship with my dad that I don't want to lose. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2013, 12:46 PM

by being obedient that is the only way

Ads

05-09-2013, 12:57 PM

Well Ellie, you shouldn't have reactivated it without their permission. But if it's really that big of deal to you to have a FB account, then you should come up with a plan to present to your parents. Make sure you include all the reasons you want the account and be sure to explain all the security features to your parents and let them know that you want them to Monitor your account for any unusual activity to keep you safe. As for rebuilding the trust, that's a different matter. Once trust is lost it's often hard to get back. You best solution is to follow their rules regardless of how silly you think they are and if there is something you simply can not follow make sure you have a very mature argument and ask to speak to them about it and hopefully come to a peaceful resolution that everyone can live with without loosing their trust again.
05-09-2013, 01:12 PM

Okay, well... I am so sorry in advance. That sounds terrible. :/ I know exactly how you feel. The only solution that I found to work is time. You just have to say you are sorry and try to ask him to forgive you. Once he does, time is really the only thing that can build the trust back up. Just be good and follow all the rules, and communicate with them. In time, they will come to trust you again. I hope everything goes well for you! Smile
05-09-2013, 01:16 PM

Your dad is pretty overprotective of you...there's a boundry between parents and their kids and I think your dad kind of pushed it when he looked through your activity on there. Everybody has a facebook it's not that big of a deal honestly. Like how old are you? And if you want to gain his trust back you just have to apologize sincerely and promise to never go behind his back again. I think that's pretty much all you can do. We all make mistakes(even though having a facebook isn't a big deal at all).
05-09-2013, 01:21 PM

Same thing here except for my mum!!! Like she didnt' know I still had a facebook account although she told me to deactivate it (it was a few months ago) until this stupid boy just had to email me. My email connects to my mum's email. And I thought that the checked to block every kind of email that is sent to me. And it seems that there was this new type that just came when that boy emailed me. Damn. I got into major trouble, saying that i was no trust. But what you could do is show your facebook account to your dad, and go like "here, i'm going to show you that I'm going to "delete" my account. But first you have to know how to delete it before showing the real thing to your dad. It's not deactivate it. It's to DELETE it. This shall show him proof that you don't have a facebook account anymore. Then just dont' use it anymore. You're been caught twice already. Once they catch you the third time - you are totally screwed and there is nothing you could do about it. And do as your parents say, unless their idea is really stupid. You could ask your dad why not to go onto facebook, as if you're naive and stupid so he'll forgive you as you didn't know the dangers of facebook. Hope this helped.
05-09-2013, 01:26 PM

For these things there is never an immediate fix. It takes time and a lot of it. When you do things behind your parents back and get caught, you have to basically lay in the bed that you have made. Talk to your dad very calmly and respectfully and tell him why you did what you did. Apologize and ask for his forgiveness. Ask him and your mother if there is a way that you can be on facebook or whatever if you are under their supervision and they have the passwords to check up on all whats going on on there.(After your punishment is over) Explain to them that its a social site and that you can set your page and what have you to private so that no creepos will be looking at it. A compromise of sorts) Accept to be grounded and to be taking on more responsibility and chores and etc regardless of the answers they give. Stay positive and keep your attitude in check no matter what the outcome. Show how mature you can be. Make sure you have good marks in school too above all else! School comes 1st! Remember if you are truly sorry for your actions, that you will never do that said action again.