This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to make a child realise there are more important things in life than instagram and Justin Beiber?
05-10-2013, 03:53 PM
How to make a child realise there are more important things in life than instagram and Justin Beiber?
My sister is 9.
She has an iPod and cares about nothing else. She has an instagram, twitter, skype, snap-chat, kick, facechat, whatever. You name it, she has it.

She doesn't talk to the family, when asked to do something always causes a fuss, she has become rude, annoying and unbearable. She swears now and always wants to be left alone. Her latest school report was terrible. WHAT IS THIS??

How can I make her realize that she is wasting her childhood and ruining the relationships in our family?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2013, 03:59 PM

Take away the technology. Force her into spending time with family and make her realize that technology is nothing. If she won't agree, make a bet with her that she cannot spend a week or even a day without technology. Bet on money or buying her ice cream. Just make sure she realizes the value of her family and friends.

Ads

05-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Sometimes they need to find out on their own. When I went through my fathers death I learned to appreciate things a lot more and enjoy the little things and I'm 16
05-10-2013, 04:24 PM

Why does a 9 year old have any of that? Or open access to a computer? You're parents ought to take all of that away from her. Her childhood is going to shoot right past her.
05-10-2013, 04:32 PM

Spend some quality time with her, take her to a park, show her movies you'd both enjoy. Show her that there's other things to enjoy besides her iPod. My little brother enjoys watching comedies with me and playing sports. Also help her with her homework and answer important questions she has. Hope I helped! (:
05-10-2013, 04:49 PM

Take the iPod away and teach her a lesson. A partly fault is from your parents who don't teach her what's right and wrong
05-10-2013, 05:02 PM

There's really not a lot that you can do as far as implementing things go, unless you feel that you have a good amount of authority over her. That is really your parents' jobs and if they can't do that then they haven't been doing a very good job of being parents.

If you do have authority over her, try to only allow her to use her iPod AFTER her other duties have been fulfilled, ie homework, chores, family time, etc. The iPod is a privilege, not a right, and there are many things that are of a higher priority than it.

If you feel that you can't do anything about it directly, the best thing that you can do is set an example for her, and the more you can get your friends in on it the better. For example, if you're outside playing basketball in the driveway, she might think nothing of it because maybe you're just her "weird, unpopular older sister". But if you bring your friends over to play, and more friends keep showing up, it suddenly becomes the "cool thing to do" and I'll bet if she sees that type of behavior enough, she will replicate it within her own circles. Try to get her to play board games with you, or try to incorporate her interests into your activities. Go for a family walk along a trail so she can take unique pictures for instagram, do things that she can tweet/brag about online afterwards (try out new restaurant, see a new movie -- ideally places where cell phones/technology are inappropriate).

Remember, you are her #1 influence!
05-10-2013, 05:10 PM

Its your parents job to raise your sister ; not yours
If they want a real brat ;; good for them [ they will pay a HIGH price
but you
you are the sister ; so just be friend with her ; and if she doesn't want you as a friend
leave her alone with her I pod and her ELECTRONICS
05-10-2013, 05:18 PM

Please add me, I will follow back:

Instagram and Twitter: deanna_carbone
05-10-2013, 05:29 PM

U can get alot of Instagram followers from: tinyurl.com/ahvsesd