This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am I the only person who doesn't use Social Media?
10-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't use Social Media?
Hi, I'm 32, but I am afraid to use Social Media. I dont use Facebook, Twitter or ANY social media. I'm a law-abiding citizen, I dont engage in illegal activity (I'm not "hiding" anything) but the idea of private life being on the internet horrifies me. I cant believe people share themselves with the entire world, I dont get it. Am I the only person who feels this way?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 02:20 PM

I deleted my Facebook a year ago because I know it's an invasion of privacy. I'm not a retard. I can read in-between the lines. Even Google doesn't give you 100% privacy. If you read their little disclosures you'll know what I mean.

Ads

I'm 20 and most of the people my age (well, people of all ages) are obsessed with twitter and facebook and what not. I find the whole thing to be unnecessary.
Why people want to tell everyone else that they're "making a sandwich" or anything else they're doing is beyond me, let alone sharing pictures and videos with (mostly) strange and random people.
But these social media sites do have their uses.
I only ever use msn, and I use it to talk to people I know, including videoing with family who are far away.
So no, you're not the only person. XD

No, there are many people who don't social media sites simply because they think it gives private information to groups such as the government. But if you think about, it's not that bad because it's basically the same as walking in public. When you use facebook, you're exposing yourself just as you would in public. No one will really cares because there's billions of sites on the internet, so why would anyone pay attention to you?

People share themselves with the entire world because it's just fun being social. It's also efficient, because let's say you have friends in school, they can post pictures of homework and stuff you've missed. It just keeps you updated with certain events going on around you.

In conclusion, it's nothing to worry about, kids, adults, celebrities, government people use it, and it's supposed to be something that improves our lives. Especially in the information age, it's vitally important.

I used to have facebook but it felt shallow, 90% of the people were not really friends, and I don't feel the need to share everything with everybody. Maybe by leaving social media I'm slightly out of touch with things or have a smaller networking circle of possibilities but it just didn't really do it for me...so no you're not alone.

You just shared this with us...

I wish I could GET exposure on Facebook. I've been on it for two years and I wish I could get more exposure as an artist for my work. It seems like no one is looking at my page. No matter what kinds of things I post. Only my cousin will comment on a drawing that I've posted!
When I first got on Facebook I too was concerned about people knowing my private life and thought I would feel too exposed as I'm a private person in real life.
No such thing has happened though.