This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What degree would be best to start a business in social media marketing?
10-12-2012, 02:53 PM
What degree would be best to start a business in social media marketing?
Would an IT degree with a minor in business or Organizational Communication be good or should I just get a degree in Public Relations or Business?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 03:01 PM

In my opinion, I would recommend getting a business degree with a focus in accounting or finance. These skill sets you use to run a business will work in any business you decide to run in the future. If you focus on degrees like IT, they become obsolete pretty quickly. However, understanding the basic fundamentals of running a business will be important for years to come.

Having a degree in social media really won't get you any further with clients. However, having a degree on how to acquire financing, market, understand cash flow and other business basics will allow your businesses to succeed.

In regards to learning a skill or a trade such as social media, there are other ways to learn the tricks of the trade. Courses, such as Social Media In 7 Minutes, will teach you the basics of social media. Reading blogs, like Mashable, Black Box Social Media, Business2Community, or Social Media Today will give you great learning points. Finally, make it a point to join in on 1-2 webinars each week. These tactics will assist you in being informed in your industry.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply