This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you feel about this Republican's comment regarding gun control legislation?
05-27-2013, 02:52 PM
How do you feel about this Republican's comment regarding gun control legislation?
Below is a comment written by a Republican fund-raiser who was also a former Republican National Committee finance chairman. Do you think he's right or wrong in saying that the Republicans' actions regarding gun control legislation will hurt Republicans in the future? Why or why not?

Gun Control: A Republican Lashes Out at His Party
Published: April 19, 2013

To the Editor:
Opinion Twitter Logo.
Connect With Us on Twitter

For Op-Ed, follow @nytopinion and to hear from the editorial page editor, Andrew Rosenthal, follow @andyrNYT.

My heart is broken. The Senate killed even the most modest gun legislation, something that is desired by the majority of the American people (front page, April 18).

Additionally, the National Rifle Association gave up all semblance of moral authority.

Only the Republican senators Patrick J. Toomey of Pennsylvania, John McCain of Arizona, Mark Steven Kirk of Illinois and Susan Collins of Maine acquitted themselves well by voting yes to expand background checks.

There is no doubt in my mind that Republicans, under political pressure from Wayne LaPierre of the N.R.A., will be marginalized to the point of irrelevancy, as the American people move inexorably to force the adoption of reasonable gun legislation.

I just wish that our Republican leadership had done the right thing. We just handed President Obama the perfect way to defeat many Republicans in the next election.

ALFRED HOFFMAN Jr.
North Palm Beach, Fla., April 19, 2013

The writer is a Republican fund-raiser and a former Republican National Committee finance chairman.
QWERT, You are wrong. You misread the Gallup study, which found that 4% of Americans did not name gun control as the TOP priority out of MANY priorities. It does NOT say that 'only 4% of Americans want more gun control' (or that 96% of Americans DON'T want gun control)! For all you know, Qwert, 100% of Americans want more gun control--they just don't think it's the No. One priority!

Qwert, your misinterpretation of the study reinforces my belief that gun enthusiasts have poor reading skills. I mean that seriously. It's either that you have poor reading skills, or that you deliberately misinterpret what you read--there are no other explanations.
TEHABLA, Sorry, but qwert's comment about the Gallup study, as it reads, is wrong in and of itself. LOL.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2013, 02:54 PM

His opinion and he's welcome to it.

I happen to disagree.

Ads

05-27-2013, 02:56 PM

Agreed. The GOP is a shrinking party that is out of step with mainstream America.
05-27-2013, 02:59 PM

Hoffman is correct.
05-27-2013, 03:00 PM

I can only hope he's right. The actions of the GOP caucus are unforgivable. This is too important an issue for Republicans to play politics with.
05-27-2013, 03:09 PM

He's wrong. According to a recent Gallup poll only 4% of Americans think gun control is a priority. The Republicans won't be hurt by their votes.
05-27-2013, 03:18 PM

Few people have stopped to realize that the proposed gun legislation has nothing to do with the guns of today.
The government is way out in front of the people on this.
We are on the verge of a new generation of weapons based on laser technology.
These are the weapons that government wants to keep out of the hands of the public.
The wording of every piece of purposed gun legislation reflects this.
05-27-2013, 03:21 PM

Too bad even he is out of touch that a 2000 person poll is and should not be quotable, but there is no doubt in my mind that Alfred Hoffman Jr., under political pressure from his ED of the little blue pill, will be marginalized to the point of irrelevancy, and the American people continue to move inexorably to force the blocking of any stupid gun control laws that will do nothing to stop vilolence in America.
05-27-2013, 03:27 PM

You're misinterpreting qwert, who didn't say only 4% want more gun control. The question is whether people who support gun control will VOTE based on congress-people's vote on that issue.

There's good reason to think that the 10% who oppose universal background checks WILL vote based on that one issue.

All that said, except for the part about it being heartbreaking, yeah. Except that this is only ONE issue where the republicans in Congress oppose positions held by the majority of Americans. They support minority, even tiny minority, positions on nearly EVERY issue.

Heck, their opposition to rich people paying taxes is opposed by most Republican voters -- but that doesn't make them see reason, and stop thwarting the will of the citizenry.

But here's hoping he's right about Republicans losing all over in 2014!
05-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Until the law is written well and thought out, then I will not be able to support it.
Under the last amendment, a Marine being deployed leaving his guns at a friends house would now be a criminal.
A friend lending his buddy a rifle to go hunting for two weeks is now a criminal.
A cop goes for training, leaving the guns at home with his wife is now a criminal.

Until we have special restrictions for this type of thing, then I cannot support it. I will support universal background checks if CCW permit holders can travel to any state with a loaded firearm, and we have the ability to lend guns, or leave guns at places without being criminals. We also do not need registration. This only leads to confiscation. Anyone who lives in a home with a felon should still be able to own a gun. As of now, their guns would be confiscated.