This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
YA Readers, where do you find your books?
05-27-2013, 03:05 PM
YA Readers, where do you find your books?
I'm a self-published author wondering where I should invest more time promoting my book. So what I want to know is how do you decide what to read next? Have you ever clicked on an ad for a book on Amazon and ended up buying it? Do you browse site like "Addicted to e-books" or "Freebooksy" to find deals, and if so which sites do you like? Do you find books through Facebook or Twitter? Or do you rely soely on recommendations from friends and family?

I write YA Paranormal Romance, so feedback from readers who like this genre is particularily appreciated.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2013, 03:12 PM

well romance I buy if my friends or family recommends it as im not a fan of that genre but I normally just look at a couple of pages and if I like it then I buy.
I also buy books that were made into films so

Ads

05-27-2013, 03:21 PM

oh go and have accounts on goodreads. there are lots of authors there who were just starting out and got discovered.. when you have an account there, you'll understand. its kind of hard to explain. there are like suggestions and recommendations on what to read based on the books the user has read. and there are lots TONS of ya books there.. try advertising there
05-27-2013, 03:25 PM

I look at reviews from mainstream sources.

Before you sink any money into advertising on "addicted to ebooks" or "freebooksy", ask yourself this question: Have I ever (or do I know anyone who has ever) purchased any book or product as a result of seeing an ad on one of those sites? To that end, how many self-published books have you purchased in the past year -- in the past ten years?

You've got a tough road ahead.

Good luck,

~Dr. B.~
05-27-2013, 03:33 PM

I'm old school. I browse Barnes and Noble. Except I do have an old friend who is a paranormal/romance writer and I buy her books from Amazon when she announces on Facebook that she's published a new one. Frankly, she isn't good. But she's published 3 and she's getting better.
05-27-2013, 03:36 PM

I usually find books through recommendations from a friend. Im pretty sure we all have one friend or person in our lives who are a complete book-worm, so I trust their judgment on a book.
Sometimes I just stumble upon books while I'm at my local community library. In the library, the have a listing in the YA section of peoples recommendations on books in diffrent categories, like Sci-Fi, Romance, Action, Mystery, and so on. The recommendation listings are very helpful when I don't know what i'd like to read next. Some libraries would post a picture of a new book from a local author sometimes, so maybe you can promote your book in a library withing your community.
Hope this helps!
05-27-2013, 03:44 PM

Honestly? I buy the books I find on the shelves at bookshops. I also buy books friends recommend to me. Again those are usually books they found on the shelves of actual bookshops. That's one of the main difficulties with selling self-published books. You'll find it very hard to place them on bookshop shelves and that's where most people find new books, even if they buy them online afterwards.

I have occasionally looked at books I've found advertised on goodreads.com. I haven't yet actually bought one of these though. But it doesn't hurt to try it. You can also create your author page on it and try and get your books on some of their listopia lists.
05-27-2013, 03:45 PM

I use Goodreads recommendations sometimes, but most times I just get recs from my librarian, or I browse the shelves and judge books by their covers.