This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to create a video game?
05-27-2013, 04:15 PM
How to create a video game?
I have always wanted to play a really good survival/farming/building towns rpg-based game. Since I couldn't ever find one which is exactly what i am looking for, I decided to make one.

A little like Harvest Moon, a little of like Mine Craft, and a little like Skyrim, for examples.

I have been an artist and writer since I could pick up a pencil, and I know It's possible because I can study everything from books and the internet I need to know to make one.

So I want to ask what programs I should use to get started creating a game, and the basics.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2013, 04:16 PM

Here's an overly simplified list. Keep in mind this is one of many possible ways (primarily for Xbox live development), but I figure it's as good as any.

1. Get involved in online indie dev communities (google them). Ask/learn/network as much as possible. Make friends, get involved in projects, offer your talents and improve your skills. You could purchase an indie developer account at Microsoft, they have communities there I think.
2. Download Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express, it's a free programming software suite. Get a book or look for online tutorials to teach yourself the programming language C#. Get familiar and comfortable with it. This could take awhile if you have no experience programming.
3. Download and install XNA (it's an Xbox developers library, sort of an add-on for Visual C).
4. Start programming. Get yourself familiar with XNA. Look for online tutorials. I've put some in the reference section.
5. If you're doing the art yourself, better get Photoshop, CorelDraw and a tablet if you don't already. Making animations? Hmm, could try using GraphicsGale, I hear that's pretty popular for simple sprite graphics. I don't know much about 3d stuff, but at this point that might be a bit much to start off.
6. You've got your work ahead of you. Once you've got all your experience and practice in, hopefully you've got your game very well planned out in your head. You might want to test making some simple games at first, but once you get comfortable enough just crack at it and see how far you can go. Might help to have a schedule, because it can get really hectic to keep it all together. If your game is huge, it can take forever if you don't have your life pretty regimented.
7. You know those people you got to know in step 1? Get their help, or coordinate with them if you think they can offer anything to your project. Chrono Trigger wouldn't have been possible without a "Dream Team", and it may be your idea can't come to life without the help of others. Don't forget to negotiate any money-matters for the next part...
8. When you're finished, put it up on Xbox live and sell it. Do marketing. Tell your friends. Facebook, twitter, make it viral, press release to game news journals, etc. etc. Hopefully you'll do well.

And that's all folks. Good luck.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply