This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
first time filling out a job application, what is the proper way to do it?
10-12-2012, 03:40 PM
first time filling out a job application, what is the proper way to do it?
This is my first job i will be applying for. i have never filled out one of these. i am 23, but recently received my permanent residency and social security number, this is why i am the age i am and just now applying for a job.. also i went to high school and was about to graduate but for personal reasons didn't. i did get my diploma online.. so how do i fill out that potion of the application.? do i use the name of the online school that's on the diploma...?
as well as work experience.. i don';t know what to put.. i have babysat for many years and got paid cash. as well as working in the swap meet or flea market for many years. but no actual place of employment that paid with a check or anything like that since i didn't have a social to provide them at the time..
i would greatly appreciate the help. this is really huge for me...

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Yes.

Since you have no employment history you must list the school as well as your GPA if it's a good one. If it's not a good one, list the babysitters and the best personal references you have.

As in people in good positions to recommend you. If you babysat for a doctor, definitely list him/her as a reference.

If you babysat for a 40 year old neighbor who worked at Taco Bell and only has a GED them self, then try to avoid using them as a reference.

All you want is the interview so you have a chance to explain yourself.

If it's as you say, that you were trying to follow the law and not work without authorization, I'd consider that a plus.

However, in this day and age, where everyone has a bachelor's degree in something, the fact that you couldn't find it within yourself to even graduate high school or a real GED program is a heavy factor against hiring you.

And yes, I say a real GED program. You went to an online site. I've never even heard of such a thing, but be that as it may, no online college is ever a good one, so I'm thinking an online GED program is even worse.

Don't let me dissuade you.

Use what you have and get the interview.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply