This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to get over the fear of Facebook?
07-17-2013, 11:01 PM
How to get over the fear of Facebook?
I don't have a facebook b/c I'm worried about my appearance. And I'm worried I won't make any friends since I'm kinda of shy in real life and online. I'm just worried I won't be able to keep up a conversation.
Lastly Facebook seems super complicated and invasive to privacy which also worries me.
Please no rude comments!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2013, 11:08 PM

Hi,

I've had a Facebook since January and currently have about 250 friends. I'm turning 14 in July and am not shy nor outgoing, just in the middle. I was worried for many reasons too. My parents wouldn't let me have one, I thought it would waste my time, give my computer a virus, or someone would stalk me. I think it's fun and a way to get to know people, but you're right, it can be used poorly as well.

You don't have to keep up a conversation. Facebook is not all about the chat part, you can just "like" pictures and post statuses about your life. Also, you never HAVE to post pictures of yourself. Since I take awful pictures and am not allowed to have one, my profile picture is just a black "Keep Calm and Turn Your Swag on" thing. LOL. As for privacy, you can choose whether you want to be tagged in pictures or not and you can make your account private, meaning only people you are friends with can see your profile. You can also block people you don't want seeing your page. If you can't make friends, go to family and maybe even people you don't know for a change that live in your area and know people you know. (Never friend someone with less than five mutual friends!)

All of the privacy settings and etc. are in the "Settings" area. Facebook is not complicated - I am horrible at computer stuff and find it quick and convenient.

Good luck! Smile

Ads

07-17-2013, 11:12 PM

If you are already a bit shy or self conscious then facebook may not be the best idea. People on facebook can be really mean and bullies. Facebook will tell you themselves that it is not there for you to make friends, in fact they often will suspend people's accounts who add people they do not personally know. As well the US government has made over 150 requests to access personal information from facebook servers. If you only want to join because it's the cool thing to do that's not a good reason. The best way to overcome shyness is by being around real people face to face. How about volunteering for a place that works with people who are less fortunate. They are the least judgemental people and will appreciate you for what you do and not your appearance. Eventually you will feel your confidence grow.
07-17-2013, 11:29 PM

How to get over fear of roller coasters. ... Start getting over your fear bye riding the roller coaster in the kids section of theme parks first. ... Post to Facebook.