This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Culturally, the self outing of Frank Ocean means exactly what to black music?
10-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Culturally, the self outing of Frank Ocean means exactly what to black music?
He was trending on the Net with folks...twitter was all atwitter with people vociferously divided into gay vs anti-gay camps...some folks feel that the genius of his music and voice transcend his revelation about his sexual orientation..um....I find his music sort of mediocre and his voice...well he's no Jaheim, Luther, Joe but everyone is entitled to their preferences music and romance. Also the camps are saying that hip/hop artists have not rallied to is defense.
BQ: Is Frank Ocean hip/hop or what?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 10:37 PM

No, hip-hop is still very homophobic,in the black community it probably won't make a huge difference.
He is RnB
He belongs to a rap group called odd future, he sings for them most of the time and works with other hip hop artists like jay z, kanye west etc.., they are verrrryyyy homophobic.

Ads

Who is Frank Ocean anyway?

Frank ocean is hip-hop if you ask me...I love his songs Novocaine, Pyramids and Thinking about you but anyways I believe some artist didnt have anything negative to say because they want to keep a good image. I find it a little hypocritical that Tyler the Creator accepts him although he always raps about how much he hates gays but whatever........

He's different from the other R&B acts. We all knew Luther Vandross, Freddie Jackson, Little Richard and slew of black entertainers in the music business but they did come out and say it. So it's quite refreshing to some musicians in the music industry and fans to see someone being honest about their sexuality. And besides there are few rappers who flat out congratulated him for his honesty.

BQ: He's not a Hip/Hop artist but a R&B singer. I guess whenever there's a black musician who's young and talented. He is now considered to be a rapper by society standards.

Who the f*ck is Frank Ocean?

doesn't mean anything to me. i'd prefer people kept their sexual life private. it's none of my business.

I never bought into hip hop so my first reaction is like.....whatevs.
Many Gay people are influential, intelligent, and courageous. On the other hand, there are people who are adopting the gay lifestyle because it is "in style" right now. Those folks are pretentious, naive, easily influenced, and more easily controlled. I guess more will be revealed in Frankie's case so I will reserve my opinion on him.
As far as the Black music industry is concerned, well that's a broad topic and his coming out will have no effect on R&B, Soul, Jazz, or Alt.
As far as hip hop is concerned, I would say he is going with the flow and trying attract an market no longer on the down low.