This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do people see my activity when I comment on a company page I "liked" on Facebook?
08-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Why do people see my activity when I comment on a company page I "liked" on Facebook?
So I "liked" a local company on Facebook and comment on their photos every now and then.

Apparently, all of my friends can see those exact comment for that exact company on their news feed, even though they don't "like" the company. How can I make my posts private so my friends don't see my activity like that?

Irritating as ****.
That first post didn't answer anything and is clearly copy and pasted...any other ideas

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2013, 08:35 PM

Editing your Activity

When you have finished editing your basic profile information, click your name at the top of the screen to return to the previous menu and click on Activity Log.

The Activity Log lists all of your status updates, comments, and likes. On the right hand side of the screen, you will see the visibility icons again, along with a small circle which is the “Allow on Timeline” icon. Hovering over these icons will allow you to adjust the visibility settings and, optionally, hide certain activity from your Timeline. Please note, however, that there is no way to keep comments private. Your comment on someone else’s status is visible to the viewers of that status, and you hide them by deleting the comment. Comments are tricky like that – it’s like the rules of email at work; if you wouldn’t want it forwarded, don’t say it in the first place.

Keeping Application Activity Private

In editing your Timeline you may notice that a number of new applications now post activity to your Timeline; including Pinterest (see our article on Pinterest) Washington Post Social Reader, and games. This is where it becomes very difficult to hide your activity. While you can edit each item after it is posted, preventing it from posting in the first place is more or less difficult depending upon the application. For example, the Washington Post Social Reader application does not allow you to refuse to share your Facebook info. (You can refuse, but that aborts the app.) You can prevent articles you read from showing up by clicking “Unread” at the bottom of the article on a piece by piece basis. Alternatively, you can edit settings for the apps under Privacy Settings (you will find this under the small drop down menu, next to home in the upper right hand corner of the screen) and then Apps and Games. Edit this screen to see the list of apps and games you are using, and to edit the privacy settings on each one appropriately. This will also give you the opportunity to remove any apps that do not allow you enough privacy, or that you were not aware were accessing your personal data.

As with many things, on application privacy the devil is in the details. Choices for privacy settings will vary. The detail of activity differs and the information shared on your Timeline differs depending upon the app. Applications may be sharing with Facebook even when you are not accessing them through Facebook – for example, the common login with Pinterest means that when you are on the Pinterest site, it may share a thumbnail of each item that you pin with your Facebook Timeline.

Check Your Settings

Facebook has provided a great feature to make sure you are comfortable with your settings. Next to the Activity Log button is a small gear button, providing a dropdown menu. Select “View As” and type in a friend’s name. This allows you to see what your Timeline looks like to that friend, so you can check your work and make sure that you’ve displayed only what you want on your Timeline.

Ads

08-30-2013, 08:39 PM

Unfortunately if you post on a page that is made public there is no way to block your friends from seeing your comment.