This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I need help writing my common app essay? Input?
10-13-2012, 08:45 AM
I need help writing my common app essay? Input?
So, I'm looking through the Common App essay topics and was thinking about topic #6: choosing my own topic. I know I have to be extra careful on this because, well, there is no topic to focus on.
I was thinking maybe writing about today's culture; the dancey-techno music with the bad influence, fashion trends, and simply technology, like Facebook and Twitter, today that endangers many young teens and pre-teens.
Or, just focus on music ('cause that's what I'm best at...)
Can anyone help me with some topics?
I know i could use the other 5, but i want to be different.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2012, 08:53 AM

If you are going to pick choice six on the Common App, you MUST still write about a personal experience. Colleges know about problems facing the world today. They do not know about you. Show them that you are different than the rest of the people they are evaluating or you will not be getting in to your top choice colleges.

Want proof? I got accepted to many colleges that my peers with similar or better academic standing were not accepted to. I wrote about a personal experience, many of them did not.

Ads

10-13-2012, 08:53 AM

If you are creating your own essay, you need to make it about a personal experience *and* try to make it tie in to your reason for going to college.

Ex 1: Pop culture is everywhere and it influences everyone. However, some of these influences can be negative and detrimental to the mindset of children and teens. Negative influences have made it tempting to give into poor choices, however I want to make something of myself. Through a college education I wish to set a good example for children and teens and show them why they shouldn't give into peer pressure and poor choices.

Ex 2. Pop culture has shifted dramatically over the past 2 decades. Upbeat music has been replaced by songs that boast negative influences. Family sitcoms have warped into reality shows where individuals are rewarded for living lifestyles that are considered taboo. The development of social networking can be beneficial if used properly, and harmful if abused. I have grown up in the middle of all of this. Although there have been many negative influences on me, as well as peer pressure to make poor choices, I have risen above it. I want to become a ______ (whatever career) so that I can influence the youth in my community to make positive choices. I want to make a difference and send a message much deeper than what is taught in music, reality shows and social networking. I want to make something of myself.

These are not perfect, they are just ideas. But you really just have to make it apply to yourself and your life.