This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
For My First Demo CD Should I Own Rights To The Instrumentals, Lease Or Just Record On Them For Free?
10-13-2012, 01:16 PM
For My First Demo CD Should I Own Rights To The Instrumentals, Lease Or Just Record On Them For Free?
I am a lyricist/singer-song writer working on releasing a demo cd. The beats or instrumentals I will be using have been downloaded from the internet and I don't know if it would be wise to lease, buy exclusively or just record the cd for free. I do have some really good material and I plan on performing at open mics, showcases, and if I were to get booked at a local bar I would like to have the cd available for sale. In addition I would be selling my cd in the street and posting songs on social media. I even thought about making a music video for 1 or 2 songs. This would be my first cd in a while and it would really be used for promotion and I would try to get it played on some college stations and pass it to dj's and stuff but I have no guarantee of huge success but I feel like it is a great cd and has a lot of potential and I have met a few influential music pro's who I will be giving it to. With that said should I buy the beats, lease or just record on them for free? Please help!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Personally i don't believe in "Owning the Rights" to a set of sounds. Besides having people passing around your stuff freely to others only helps you become popular.
Edit: Just to clear this up Steven is wrong. It's not illegal to redistribute music from artists who do not copyright there music but you likely know this. Ever heard of a mixtape Steven?

Ads

Taking anyones music and recording an audio cd without their permission is against the law. Distributing it ,even for free, is also against the law. You have to own the copyright to make copies of music and distribute it if it is not your original work.

The best thing for you to do is to find a producer that can help you take your music to the next level. You can lease or purchase instrumentals exclusive. Either way you will be on your way to making progress. If you are serious about you music career. Check me out at the link below I am a music producer and could help you out. Thanks