This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I just bought a Samsung Galaxy s3 and was shocked by Google Play privacy, is the Apple store any more private?
11-28-2013, 09:48 PM
I just bought a Samsung Galaxy s3 and was shocked by Google Play privacy, is the Apple store any more private?
I've had an Ipod touch for a couple years and recently have been introduced to the android operating system. But when I went to download apps on Google Play I noticed apps wanted my location, use my camera without my knowledge, read my texts, send texts, read my personal information, access to my system settings, and otherwise complete control over my phone and all my personal information.

But I was wondering if the App store from Apple was any more private. Because they do not give any warnings on what apps want access to. So are they just not asking my permission or is it more private?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2013, 09:52 PM

When you download an App on Google Play it will ask you before hand.
MOST of what you see will only come into affect once you actually use that function in the phone that needs to use it.
For example if it's instagram it will ask for location and camera and then will only use it when taking a picture and posting to add the location.

The App store is the exact same but asks you when you first run the app and use the function.
So it's EXACTLY the same

When you run instagram and click "Post" it will say "Allow instgram to access camera" you click OK and then when you post the location it will say "Allow instagram to use location service" and it may ask "Allow instgram to access photos" to save the picture.

Google tells you all the permission BEFORE you download the App.
Apple tells you all the permissions WHEN the app needs to use it and allows you to reject certain aspects.

Exactly the same just different execution.

Ads

11-28-2013, 10:08 PM

Apps for iOS have to ask your permission before accessing your information. Each iOS app runs in its own sandbox and is not able to talk to or interact with other apps. Google does frequently remove problem apps from their store but too late for everyone who has downloaded them.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/08/nearly-...-fighting/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505143_162-5...m-malware/
11-28-2013, 10:20 PM

Yeah I just got the new Note 3 (switching from iPhone 3) and in setting up instagram or the Facebook app under app permissions/microphone/record audio it says: "This permission allows the app to record audio at any time WITHOUT YOUR CONFIRMATION." It's kind of weird. You have to accept all of these questionable agreements in order to download the apps. It might as well say the app can come into your house and read your fucking diary and look through the family album while you're asleep...or at least that's how it sounds.