This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
You wanna know why modern day Liberals not classical Liberals want bigger Government?
10-13-2012, 05:26 PM
You wanna know why modern day Liberals not classical Liberals want bigger Government?
When you look at what they major in when they go to college you can see why they want a bigger Government. Its self interest and greed. They claim to be helping people but that is not the case. All you have to do is look at what kind of jobs you can get with Sociology and there is where you will find your answer.

http://www.coss.fsu.edu/prospective-stud...l-sciences

Sociology
Careers: Criminologist, Community Organizer, Corrections Officer, Market Research Analyst, Statistician, Opinion Pollster, Management Trainee, Federal, State, and Local Government, Industrial Sociologist, Child Welfare, Case Worker, Demographer.

Employers: Schools and Colleges, Governmental Agencies, Mental Health Agencies, Court System, Welfare Agencies, Large Corporations, Community Agencies, Financial Institutions.
@Fred- That is a good idea and I am all for it.
Look at what the Liberal arts major in.

http://oedb.org/fast-track-careers-liberal-arts
@Jacara- I am not a Republican and did you know that Republicans call me a Democrat?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2012, 05:34 PM

I am a Biology major and I want a bigger Government because Big Government does Big Things. From the Space Program to the Hoover Dam. From putting kids through college to ensuring no parent has to worry about losing their child because they cant afford health insurance. We built this country, together. We can do it again.

Ads

yes

theodore roosevelt was a Republican but an ardent reformer- a Progressive who demanded sweeping legislation and federal policies to protect national forestland, protect consumers from bad products, regulate big business, and break up harmful anti-competitive monopolies. He showed that 'free market' capitalism was largely a monopolistic, rigged con game run by the super rich capitalists to manipulate the American economy for their own game.

today's liberals have nothing in common with 'classical liberals' like adam smith, but then adam smith wanted no regulation, not an economy run to favor Big Business.

fail

You mean like how Regan had the largest increase in Government spending in the last 30 years?
http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-05-...ken-sailor

Or how he quadrupled the size of government?
Or how he raised taxes 11 times in 8 years?
Or how he created almost all the problems we now have in the Middle East?

Edit: I was pointing out that Republicans to want large government, just in their own way.

both mainstream liberals and mainstream conservatives want bigger government. I hate to break it to you but.... military is government. yes it functions to protect the country but its still funded by taxpayers...whether or not such payers agree with its agenda. most americans want out of the middle east, and were still there arent we? how,is that any different from welfare programs which everyone pays for but only some agree with?

At least the latter doesnt kill anyone if misused. Just sayin, feathered friend, just sayin

Sociologists know how things really work.

The need for massive amounts of people in many of those careers would be seriously diminished if we stepped up our education program at all levels.

And I agree with you and Fred. We spend entirely too much on our military.

@ Goo Goo Monkey: That's an error of omission.
Adam Smith was also concerned with equilibrium between labor and capital and he knew that labor must be organized to keep from becoming enslaved. I'm pretty sure liberals are in agreement. Adam Smith wrote a whole book with a complete idea. Why is it both parties only want to use part of it, the part that suits their preordained ideology?

I'm a liberal and a computer programmer.

By your logic all conservatives either major in international business or join the army.

This lib does not want a "bigger" government. That's a right wing myth. I think a lot of common sense citizens believe there is an appropriate size government which is determined by the size of the economy and population.

And right wingers don't have a very good track record of reducing either the government or the debt. So please try harder not to fall victim to shallow stereotypes and empty propaganda.

By what do you measure governmental size? By its spending? By the number of its employees? By the number of functions it performs? If this is about spending, it is a little off the track to ask for "big" or "small" government... in some cases, increasing spending serves everyone; in other cases, it's decreasing it which better serves them macroeconomically.

I would matain along with Chumsky and other anarchists that power is to be assumed illegitimate as coordinating tool until satisfying justification of its use is provided. Everytime we devise a rule collectively, that we agree on a procedure, we in effect suspend our exercise of freedom in some regard to our future... I would certainly be ready to concede the right to skip red lights at will, if my concession and general respect of such law of traffic favored a reciprocal respect from the part of others. If anything, I call that a transaction and it is certainly not aliberal, nor illeberal to accept such terms.

In essence and upfront, there is nothing in the government that is wrong. Superficially, laws are voted by elected candidates and are subject to contestation, both in courts and through manifestations. To evaluate their viability and consistency with the principle of individual freedom, you need to consider each measure one by one, although not in isolation from others.

A true supporter of freedom doesn't look at whether the government is big or not; he's questionning whether he has AN EQUAL POWER TO THAT OF OTHERS WITH REGARD TO THE DECISION PROCESS WHICH HE SUFFERS.