This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I convince my perents into letting me have a Facebook?
12-02-2013, 12:17 AM
How do I convince my perents into letting me have a Facebook?
I'm 13 goi on 14 n everyone has a Facebook my mom only will let me have on when I'm 16 and my dad said I could have one but my mom said no btw my perents don't live together

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2013, 12:23 AM

U cant. Ur parents are the boss.

Ads

12-02-2013, 12:39 AM

I used to have a Facebook. Trust me, you aren't missing anything. I'm 16 and I still don't have one.
12-02-2013, 12:50 AM

I had your same problem a while ago, and Iet me just tell you it is so not worth it. First of all, putting your information on the internet is dangerous and your facebook pictures end up on google Images. Also, Idk where you live but where i live facebook used to be cool but now it is reaaallly lame. Its gonna be the new myspace. It also gets really boring. But if you still really want one just make one without telling your mom. What i did was made my account so only my friends could view it and blocked my parents. Just make sure you clear your history if your mom goes on the computer/ electronic you use.
12-02-2013, 12:52 AM

Your mom is worried about you, so don't be too hard on her for not letting you get Facebook.

Facebook can be great for keeping up with friends and family, but it can also be abused. You just have to be smart about using it. I have referenced a blog post that tells how parents can keep their kids safe on line. Maybe if you read it with your mom and agree to some "rules", she will reconsider.

Good luck!!!

Edit: I just noticed that someone suggested that you make a Facebook page without telling your mom. That is not a good idea. Your mom WILL find out about it (they always do!) and then she will lose all trust that she has in you. Lying (and this would be lying) to your parents is never a good idea. It's especially not a good idea when it comes to something as trivial as Facebook. Please don't sneak it.
12-02-2013, 12:56 AM

I agree that there should be certain rules. Talk to your mom and ask her what do you have to do, so she feels safe, if you have a Facebook. Tell her that you will only add family, school mates and friends of yours that she knows of? Tell her there are school groups etc. and this will help you stay informed easily.

Sylvia, I have read very carefully your article. Are you open for debate? : ) No bad feelings at all... As a parent myself I'd like to reveal another point of view. I do care about safety, I just think that too much control may lead to problems in our kids' futures. One things is that must learn to take some decisions alone from an early age, and another - it might literally ruin their confidence. "Everyone else" may sound funny for us as adults, but to a child this really matters and we shouldn't underestimate it. Full access to their accounts sound ridiculous to me... Smile