This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to shutdown a fake Facebook account that is using my email address?
12-09-2013, 02:33 PM
How to shutdown a fake Facebook account that is using my email address?
Someone created a Facebook acocunt using my email address. When I tried to report it, Facebvook said I need to provide the details of the fake account, which I can't get unless I have a Facebook account! I don't want a Facebook account! Not only that, but the fake account uses a name that is fairly popular, so how do I know which one is the one using my email address?!

It burns me, because a co-worker somehow had my personal email (I don't remember giving that out, but whatever). She created a Facebook account, and when she logged into Facebook on her phone, it read all her contacts and sent everyone invites. Next thing I know, I'm getting emails for "my account" under a name that I do not recognize!

How do I get that fake acocunt closed without creating an account?!
William. C: That was exactly my thought, but when I tried that, it said it was unable to complete the process because it didn't recognize the device I was logging on from...log in from a device I had used previously to complete the process!! That's when I looked for how to report the fake account, and the Facebook reporting instructions said I had to create an account to obtain the information on the fake account for reporting.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2013, 02:45 PM

Well first thing when you get emails from an account you didnt make, somewhere i think at the bottom... Just look everywhere in the email, it should say something like this is not my account. Click that and see what happens.

Ads

12-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Since the account was made with your email address it IS your account, you don't need another account to delete it.

Try to log-on, since you don't know the password your friend used you won't succeed, however you can request a new password sent to the email used to create the account (yours) and get the password that way.

Once you have the password log-on then you can either just set the account to not send emails, and ignore the account, or try to delete it. At the very least change the password so the person that created it can't use it against you.
12-09-2013, 02:57 PM

use the "forgot password" link and facebook will send a reset link to your email - then just log into your email and reset the password, and change the password for your email and the facebook account

simple