This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Could Social Media be the cause for the rising rates of depression?
10-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Could Social Media be the cause for the rising rates of depression?
What I mean is could Online, Social websites that cut away from Face to Face interaction with people (Ex: Facebook, Forum Spring, Twitter, Tumblr, Myspace (?), Yahoo Answers, dating websites, ect) be the cause for rising rates of Depression?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2012, 08:08 PM

As someone who's shy to the point it can be painful when face to face, no, if they didn't exist I'd be depressed as f*ck. Well, I probably have mild depression, but it would be worse otherwise for me specifically. Besides, it doesn't stop all face to face interaction unless you happen to be what the Japanese call a hikikomori, and most online or phone interaction is done in a situation where it might not be possible to see the other person just that minute (long distances, being too late at night, not having the time to go there, checking something small with say a boss/coworker, friend, child/parent/sibling and thus it would be quicker, etc).

Actually, this makes me wonder if someone thought the same about paper mail/letters once.

Ads

10-13-2012, 08:08 PM

Wow it would be so depressing if you only had MySpace. You'd be like the only person in the world that has it...