This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
As an artist, I'm feeling crappy right now...?
09-30-2012, 04:59 PM
As an artist, I'm feeling crappy right now...?
So, my name Brann, I make plush creatures, I sell around Baltimore, on etsy on FB etc. It's a handmade business so to say. I plan on doing this full time when I get out of college. I'm in Homeschooling 9th grade now. (end of the year, its actually summer for me)
For the past few days, I've felt kinda crappy, haven't even sewn anything yet. It all began when an artist on twitter said something, and shes local. She said this on her status "Um, two things: your shop looks like an 8 year old with a broken digital camera runs it & all your work is derivative... I mean "stolen". and it said that, right after speaking to me on twitter. I mean my photos, could have a better back drop but there good photos and show the texture. Copy now? I was freaking out. All I've did to not be a copy.
Okay lets go back to how I began sewing these things, three years ago.
I was speaking to an author on his FB page about his new book, he saw some of my hat characters (I made little cute hats) and he said they'd go great with a body etc. He gave me some personnel pointers and told me about his books. Over those three years I've collected his sewing books and other books. (Stupid Creatures is his company btw) So over that time, I've made hundreds of fails and successes. Yet only sold to family and friends.
Then one day, my art teacher who was familure with my sewing (when I went to public school, two months ago actually) had pulled me aside to go into a 12th grade presentation, she said there was an artist I had to meet. A local one!
I saw her stuff and I knew the artist, some what from the internet. She talked about how she markets her things etc. I was like omfg, I should market what I make. Shes so inspirational!
(Also, I was president of my business and financing class at th time. a.k.a. I LOVE marketing anything. So this became a fun goal over the last two months) I started and Etsy, then FB, then Twitter and Flickr and a blog. I had people talking to me, compliments, even a magazine interview request from my first craft show last month! (Now I'm in a magazine, awesome Smile) So I was on a roll. I was LOVING making what I made.
Then on twitter, what she said, killed me. My stuff being insulted killed off a thousand compliments.
Now, I feel I should stop and kill all the effort. Maybe I'm competition? She astonishingly compared me to the lady at the presentation.
That lady from the presentation found my site. I thought she's love a local artist who sews etc. And to be honest our stuff IS different, but still alike. Mostly the pockets. But I learned what I learned from books, remember that!
Any way that lady called my art teacher last month and little to my surprise, they were best friends. My art teacher wanted to defend her friend. I got interagated in a huge room full of art teachers. It was so confusing... After that my mom pulled me out for good when the system refused to do anything about it.
Its like, why can't I just craft? Now I have to worry about copyright crap?
Oh gosh... So now, I feel pretty crappy as an artist... I feel like maybe I am a copy and a jerk, when I know I'm not.
I'm writing to much, sorry I'm kinda venting.
I still need help about this though...
Thanks for reading, hope you can help...

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2012, 05:07 PM

As a fellow artist, I can tell you that you are NOT alone in how you feel. I can be flying high with lots of folks saying how wonderful and unique my items are, but let just ONE person say: Gee, that's cheap crap; anybody can do that! - and I go all to pieces. And I'm NOT young, dear - I'm going to be 60 years old this year! BUT - I also know that I WILL be flying high again, if I just give myself time to calm down and relax about it - and get BACK to doing what I love.

Copyright is ALWAYS an issue, sadly. It is hard to do anything totally unique, because we are all influenced by everything we have ever seen or read or even heard about. You can either let it destroy something that you obviously feel passionate about - or you can close your eyes, let your imagination run wild and go back to doing what you love. Which will eventually heal you again.

If you really feel that you might have a problem with this one person and 'copying', you can try getting in touch with her and ASK her politely if she feels that you are infringing on her style, and if so, what, specifically, she feels is the issue. Then try and find creative ways of your own to change enough about what you do to satisfy her - and still make you feel happy with what you create.

And remember that sometimes, people just get jealous - and point fingers at those of us lucky enough to BE creative and artistic, because they aren't.

Ads

try not to replicate others designs for profit, if you find patterns online for sharing , those are for personal use, if you buy the pattern, that changes parameters,
if you have skills to design your own patterns, jot down a few ideas for marketing, aside from local competition, re-invent features or characters,
for now why not make a couple of plushie voo-doo dolls of those others or not mentioned,
used them as pin cushions , if to similar to average features, add Shakespearean attire for change of common materials,

add button voice player for added flare,
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/328970...odule.html
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/recordab...utton.html

Shakespearean attire
http://www.earthlydelights.com.au/renaissance2.htm

voo-doo doll
http://www.calastrology.com/voodoo.html

It is clear what you must do; you must NOT give up, you must STRIVE to better yourself in new, inventive ways that are all your own style, and you NEED to show the world that you're darn-well going to bloom into an awesome artist one day! (We all start somewhere!)

The best tip I can give you (since I personally cannot sew for jack - you should see the mod I just did to an ammo case; totally laughable!) is to make a light-box for your future photo-shoots and be sure to set the camera on a tripod for a good clear shot. You can get cheap little tripods at walmart and if you don't know how to set up a light box, there are tuts on the internet and you can make them right at home cheaply. There's even plenty of tips online of how to take great photos using a light box. Smile

Don't give up, trust your instincts, and keep sewing!

- (Formerly)BigBoobsMcGoo