This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can't Republicans promote free markets and small government and lay off the social issues?
10-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Can't Republicans promote free markets and small government and lay off the social issues?
I am all for free market capitalism, limited government, 2nd amendment rights. But I am totally against the Republicans who want to institutionalize their social conservative values into the law.
If Republicans just gave it a break with the social values then we might actually make progress toward the other issues.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2012, 10:26 PM

No, they cannot, because Bible thumping rednecks fill their campaign coffers.

Ads

You sound like a Libertarian.

Can't stop now. Ryan takes his orders from Rome.

1) If you don't have morals then you don't have a standard, and if you don't have a standard then you can't make a law and if you can't make a law then you have no freedom nor do you have a functioning society.

2) It is a fact that the Roman Empire collapsed for the very reasons that we are. The internal conflicts were moral as well as economic and spiritual.

3) Sorry...I don't vote for cowards and anyone who abandons our Judeo-Christian values is a coward.

I'm with you there. I'm a Republican, and I wince every time I hear Republican politicians talk about abortion and same-sex marriage. I don't believe abortion or same-sex marriage should be illegal, and while I can sympathize with and understand the anti-abortion position, I can't help but wonder at how anyone could feel threatened by the idea of two men or two women marrying each other.

I wish they would just give on those issues and focus on what they're right about: economics, taxes, regulations, and the role of government.

The Republican Party has used "The Southern Strategy" of catering to the ultra-rich while pandering to social backwardness for the votes. If you're not a multi millionaire, then their economic policies will hurt you directly, and society at large. If you're not clinging to 100 year old social policies, then their war on women, the poor, students, medicare, foodstamps, gays, unions, and public sector jobs does not benefit you, or society. Why support these guys?

I ask questions like these every so often and I get similar responses. Apparently, Republicans believe you can't be fiscally conservative unless you are a religious nutcase. But as you can see, the religious nutcases are driving voters away from the Republican party.

Here in California, Republican registration is down to 30%, and no Republican holds a statewide office. Experts believe that social conservatism is responsible. Once other states become like us, the Republican party is going to have to rethink its strategy.

As a Conservative, that would be my preference as well.

Still, when the Dems push social issues, we have to push back. Remember, this whole "war on women" stuff began when the Dems tried to make religious institutions like Catholic hospitals, pay for their female employee's contraception, which is in direct violation of their religious tenets.