This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can I get into a Counseling or Social Work Masters program with an unrelated BA degree?
10-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Can I get into a Counseling or Social Work Masters program with an unrelated BA degree?
I have a BA in English Literature and currently work writing marketing communications but would like to switch careers. I'd like to become a counselor or therapist, and was wondering if I could get into a Master's program with an unrelated academic background. I also really don't have work experience or volunteer experience related to counseling. Is this going to be too hard?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2012, 10:39 PM

Yes you certainly can, I did so with a degree in Business.
Most schools will have pre-req psychology classes but it is nothing out of this world. Most schools dont require you to have work experience or volunteer experience related to counseling.

Some people that want to become counselors go for liberal arts or general studies bachelors degrees and take electives in psychology so they can meet the requirements to be admitted into counseling programs.

Some colleges that will allow you to do so are Liberty University, Mid America Christian University, Evangel University and many others.

Don't give up it is not that hard!

Ads

10-13-2012, 10:39 PM

Yes, I had a BA in philosophy. I had taken a course in psychology as well as statistics. It could be good to also do some volunteer work as well if you can before applying. A lot of literature discusses issues of family, poverty and relationships so you can also write about how your interest in literature ties in with social work areas.

Meditator