This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why am I being labelled as weird for being a private person?
10-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Why am I being labelled as weird for being a private person?
I'm 25, very extroverted and love socializing with people. I work as a social media manager so I spend all day on social networks. I find them entertaining and fun but I never share my personal life on them. I like connecting with interesting people to discuss current issues and share fun articles to read. All my friends post their vacation photos, status updates, engagement announcements, wedding and pregnancy photos and urge me to do the same, which I hate. If they're ok with it, good for them, but that's not for me. I recently got engaged to the love of my life a week ago and I've only told my close friends. I don't plan to announce it on Facebook and my fiancé and I dread the idea of a big wedding so we plan to elope. My friends keep urging me to announce it on Facebook ( like wtf?)
My friend told me being so secretive makes me a sociopath because deep down everyone wants to be the center of attention. I really don't. I just want to live my life, mind my business and keep my private life private. Does that make my a sociopath?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2012, 10:55 PM

NO...I think if anything people on average have been sharing too much.

Ads

American society its really messed up. Express who you in art. Stay strong

Although I'm only in high school, I sort of know what you mean. I'm a very quiet person (unlike you) but like you I hate sharing any details about myself. I keep a passcode on my iPod, won't let anyone see my drawings, don't tell anyone how I'm doing or ask how they are, stuff like that. My parents (and a few people I barely know from school) always wonder why I'm so private and keep secrets, but I just don't like for everyone to know what i'm doing all the time. When someone asks what music i'm listening to, I usually say "Oh, nothing, really". I usually keep my music quiet since my headphones are pretty loud, and other people might hear what I'm listening to. I think, Why use earphones if everyone wants to know what I'm listening to? I might as well just play the music full-volume on the external speaker. I find it very annoying when people pry into everything about me.
I also hate being the center of attention. When I'm asked a question in front of a bunch of people in class, or when I'm doing a speech, I get very nervous and my whole body overheats, and I get all shaky.
I don't think I'm a sociopath... I just like my privacy, and minding my own business. If people don't care about privacy, they might as well just give away all their passwords, right?
My dad always says "Hey, what are you doing on your iPod?" I just think, Does it matter?! Why do you even care? I just say "Nothing." Then he frowns and shakes his head. "Geez, why are you so secretive?!" Would he like it if I watched over his shoulder at every single thing he did on the computer? I don't think so. Stop bugging me.
So, to answer your question, no.

I think you are more normal than today's average person. I personally am the same way and can't understand why someone would want to post every detail of their personal life on some social network. I have a Twitter and FB account and log on here and there, but I refuse to be one of these nuts that bases their entire life around these sites.

Btw, social networking is not a new concept- services like these have been around on the internet since the late 90s...The obsession with them didn't start until MySpace came around, then it was Facebook, now we have Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr....