This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Facebook saddens me. Please help?
12-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Facebook saddens me. Please help?
Before you read this, please refrain from giving me harsh replies by telling me how pathetic or plain stupid my problem is. I already know it - that's why I'm looking for a solution.

About nearly a year ago I deactivated my old Facebook account because I felt like it was getting outdated. That's at least what I told others when I did it, when in fact, it was because it honestly made me a bit upset. In real life, I'm a person who gets along with most people, but only grow close to a few. I suppose that's why it kind of saddened me to see others doing different things on Facebook and receiving plenty of likes and comments for it. I got over it though, and created a brand new account last weekend, that right now has about 50-ish friends that mostly consist of my school mates. I thought everything was well, but then my chest tightened again, and I started comparing my empty profile to others. 4 to 2 likes on my profile pictures compared to the 70-ish others got felt like very little. Even the quiet girl in class, who can't talk very well, got around 20. I don't want to come off as a person who only wants likes, because that's not the case, I just feel like I'm invisible on the social media, which is the thing that hurts, because I had a period in my life where I also felt invisible in real life as well. Also, I know how people see likes on Facebook as a key to determine attractiveness. I have seen groups of both girls and guys gather around a laptop to laugh at "try-hards" on Facebook, often commenting on their lack of likes. The thought of me being the victim of that scares me.

I honestly just want to deactivate again, but then I feel like I would just be fleeing from the problem, which is never a good thing. I would be very happy if anybody knew any "tools"/advice that could help me stop comparing and feel embarrassed/saddened over my virtual self's lack of attention. I think it all comes down to insecurity.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2013, 04:34 PM

well you do only have 50 friends, maybe add other people from school? i usually just put my photos on private so i don't have to go through that anxiety!

Ads

12-21-2013, 04:37 PM

It's normal. Look at how many friends you gave have, and compare it to how many friends you have. I'll guess she has 4-5 times more than you, because she gets 4-5 times more than you on her pictures. Add more people, and you'll see a difference. Also, it's probably because half of these girl take half naked pics just for attention. I don't always feel sad. But when I do, I cheer up with this page. https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/laughingi...1171830872