This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I have to give parents my Facebook password?
12-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Should I have to give parents my Facebook password?
My parents are very strict and wont let me have a cell phone or computer of my own. We do have a family computer in the living room but only my parents know the password. If me or my sister want to use the computer someone has to be home to watch over it. I have begged my parents to let me have a Facebook for years and they even have one. They talked about it last night and agreed that I can have it but the rules are
1. They must know my password at all times.
2. I cant accept a friend request unless they know them.
3. I must have them on my Facebook.
4. I can only use it on weekends.
5. Not allowed to have pictures of me on there.
6. I have to let them know if I am logging in.
7. Can not use profanity on the website.

I am now debating if its even worth using because I want to be able to keep somethings private. Back when I was like 11 I created one at school and this is why I wasn't allowed to have it but now I am getting treated like a little kid. I even tried convincing them that I am mature enough to know how to use it but they said I agree to the rules and sign a contract I made up or I cant have it. If I agree and break any rule I got a list of punishments I would get. What would you do?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2013, 02:16 PM

No. I would say I want my privacy on Facebook.

Ads

12-26-2013, 02:22 PM

don't do it, it is not worth it. facebook sucks, it for losers.
12-26-2013, 02:24 PM

They r being rlly strict. Tell them u want ur privacy, try negotiating things. Try makeing 1 at school again, but change the name a bit like ur las name is backwards. Make it friends only for seeing pics and stuff.
12-26-2013, 02:27 PM

How old are you?

I would say hell no to those terms. Your facebook should be yours and yours only.
12-26-2013, 02:32 PM

Maybe if you had proved to be trustworthy before they would not keep such tight control now. But nobody has any right to ask for your password to ANY site. But if you don't give it they won't let you sign up.
12-26-2013, 02:37 PM

As a parent, I am in awe of your parents. I wish I had control over my teen daughters facebook like that.
12-26-2013, 02:43 PM

how old are you now?

they are to strict that's too much, even my little brother has a FB his 12, and I check up on him that everythings okay once in awhile. but your parents are exagerating, you deserve your privacy.
12-26-2013, 02:57 PM

From a parents perspective--

I understand why those rules are being asked... I really do... but I also know that there are bad people out there and kids don't always use the precautions necessary to be safe.

How bout this... (and part of this is my 'inner kid' being sneaky)... agree to those terms.. make one so you can text friends or share funny pix (not of yourself) and follow every rule they give you.. I mean it's either that or nothing right?..... they MAY lighten up a little... show you are 'responsible' and 'respectful' AND, if they don't loosen up, there still is nothing from stopping you from making one at a library or something too. Just be very careful what you put out there... someone else just reported here that someone used their name and their pic to make a face facebook of them and what should they do?...

Be safe.
12-26-2013, 03:02 PM

Ryan:

Here is the problem as I see it: you violated your parents’ trust when you went behind their backs and made a Facebook page at school. That may have been a while ago (you don’t say how old you are now), but they remember and that little nagging doubt is still with them. Now, you need to show them that you can be trusted and they set up this little test for you.

You need to remember that THEY pay the bills. Even if you were to work and buy your own computer, it would still be your parents paying for the Internet, so you would still have to abide by their rules.

What they’re asking isn’t that unreasonable, considering all the inappropriate comments and content that is on Facebook. They also seem worried that you will spend far too much time on Facebook and forget about living your real life.

You say that you don’t want to agree to your parents’ rules because there are some things you would like to keep private. Well, if you want them kept private, you shouldn’t be posting them on Facebook.

So, for now, agree to their rules. Once they trust you, I’m sure they will relax the rules a bit.

Good luck!