This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Temperament in kittens?
10-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Temperament in kittens?
I have gravitated toward purebred kittens because their temperament is more predictable than domestic breeds (short, medium, long haired). Maybe I am wrong and should consider domestic kittens.

My concerns:
1. shedding (I want a cat with minimal shedding). so, i was considering certain pure breeds and domestic medium/long hair...I heard domestic short hair shed a lot. Is this true? Can I ask the shelter if the kitten sheds a lot? I think they would look at me funny and give me the...they all shed face. I know they all shed, but I know some shed more than others.
2. temperament (I want a calm, social, docile cat. Will asking the shelter about the kitten's temperament suffice? Or will his/her temperament change if he is a domestic kitten?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 01:04 AM

I am so sorry that you feel you need to go to a breeder to get a great cat. I foster many shelter cats and they are mongrels. They are the cutest, friendliest cats you could ever hope to get. I do a write up with everyone of my fosters to explain their personalities. Some want to be in your lap, some want to watch, some want to talk you head off.
Your cat/kitten will adjust his personality some to your interactions. But I would suggest that you inquire if the cat was fostered and what that input is.
Please, save an existing life and not support a breeder that would tell you that that breed is better.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply