This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should i buy this name for $20?
12-28-2013, 04:02 AM
Should i buy this name for $20?
I ve viewed a domain name on godaddy called http://www.yettem.com Its a place in california. Do you think i should keep it as an investment for future

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2013, 04:03 AM

In what way would it be an investment? Yettem only has around 200 residents if any of them were interested in the domain name they would have registered it by now. Nobody else will be interested.

Ads

12-28-2013, 04:07 AM

Hi,

What you're talking about is called 'cyber-squatting', which is buying up domain names in the hopes that someone in the future will want it for some reason, thus you yourself don't really need it, you're just 'squatting' on it.

If it's a legitimate large corporation or the like, the courts have historically ruled that the corporation had more right to the name than you, and will grant ownership to them.

For example, when the Internet was first getting started up, people got the bright idea to 'squat' on names such as Pepsi.com, McDonalds.com, Coke.com, etc.

Like I mentioned, the courts ruled that the companies had the right to the domain name.

Some advice to you, if you do what you're talking about, you need to put at least a few pages on the site to show that you're actually making use of it which will help you a little if anyone ever sues you for the right to the name.

Maybe a couple of pictures of your dogs and say "Dogs for sale - $5", or at least something.

I have the task of developing a site for the town of Ashville, Alabama and guess what? Someone has 'squatted' on ashvillealabama,com and ashvilleal.com. It's the same person and they want $1,000 for the domain names.

I just went with CityofAshville.com, so they can sit on the names all they want.

12-28-2013, 04:21 AM

Business is all about risk.