This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My dad doesn't understand that I don't want to be a doctor? I'm a senior in HS?
10-14-2012, 02:16 AM
My dad doesn't understand that I don't want to be a doctor? I'm a senior in HS?
help! okay so this is the time where i'll be looking at different colleges and what not. since i was a little child, my parents have always wanted me to be a doctor. i told them when i was younger that i wanted to be a pediatrician because i loved kids. but now that i'm a little older, i realized that that's not what i want to do. i hate chemistry and math. im good at science but i don't think i'm THAT good to become a doctor. right now, i'm looking into communications. i love writing and i have won several awards from it. i like the whole social media concept and i want a career in that path...or maybe even film? maybe i'm not being practical but this is my life. im at crosswords because my dad has told my cousin who has a contact at George Washington University that I wanted to be in pre-med and go to medical school. However, I already told my dad I didnt want to be a doctor! he got mad at me and thinks im going to end up flipping burgers(no offense sry)

should i still contact that person from GWU? should i just give in and become a doctor? i was actually thinking of doing that just to make my parents happy. argh yeah help!

(btw is communications a bad thing to study? is it wise to try and have a career in the path of social media and pr and stuff?)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 02:24 AM

Being A dr is so much more rewarding. You get to touch the lives of people everyday. You can be that dr that everyone remembers! Plus you'd make way more money in the medical feild. However you can do both. Be a medical journalist. Have a full degree in medical and then go to do journalism in the medical field. That way your paid to be a dr and a journalist!

Ads

10-14-2012, 02:24 AM

It is your life, not your parents' life, but if they are paying for your education, you may have to negotiate with them.

Consider majoring in English or Communications or Telecommunications or Marketing or Journalism, but take premedical coursework too. Take some technical writing classes.

Communications is one of those "flexible" degrees that does not prepare you for a specific job such as engineer or teacher, but it prepares you for many jobs that require one to be able to communicate well in various media.