This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are you a Classic Liberal or a Social Liberal?
10-14-2012, 03:57 AM
Are you a Classic Liberal or a Social Liberal?
Classic Liberalism is a doctrine stressing individual freedom, free markets, and limited government. This includes the importance of human rationality, individual property rights, natural rights, the protection of civil liberties, individual freedom from restraint, equality under the law, constitutional limitation of government, free markets, and a gold standard to place fiscal constraints on government.

Social Liberalism is a political position that supports heavier regulation of the economy and more welfare than other types of liberalism, particularly classical liberalism. Moreover, social liberals consider the accumulation of wealth and power by a small group as a threat to liberty.

Most American Liberals are Social Libs

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 04:05 AM

ha! Classic Liberal sounds like a conservative. Thats me alright!

Ads

I support some classic liberalism. I think we need a balance of both types of ideas in order to progress. But I support less federal gov't and fiscal conservatism.

I honestly don't think that people can be painted with one political brush -

I think people's political positions are a many layered and very personal thing.

I am a classic survivor.Call me Rino.

Neither...

classic liberal

american conservative/libertarian

boss:
put up some links
not familliar with Mr green, found a reference and will try to track down
but i am definitely not social liberal as defined above
period!

Now I see the reason for most of your comments,
You are pretty far off base.

you are talking a difference between classical liberals and modern liberals as influenced by Thomas Green.

both are social liberals.
While libertarians fall closest to classical liberals than people who fully embrace Thomas Green philosophies, there is a vast array of liberals who accept it to varying degrees, in between the two.
Either way, both are social liberals.
This is why libertarians and liberals tend to get along far better than liberals and the religious right who wants big government to morally police the masses.

This is kind of like the misinformed who think neocons are ex-Democrats. That may have been a term referring to a small, now-dead movement, that isn't the movement it now refers to.

The traditional definitions of politcal jargon have long been dismantled.

If you tried to explain to a present day liberal that neo-cons are essentialy the intellectual elite of the democratic party, you would be correct but, they would look at you as if you had three heads.

Henry M Jackson
Norman Podhoretz
Irving Kristol
and so on

I'm sorry to say I fail to understand ,much less appreciate your definitions.A liberal is one who is for individual freedom to work for the betterment of human beings and thereby benefit the society.