This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which cat should I adopt?
10-14-2012, 04:56 AM
Which cat should I adopt?
I am in between two cats. I will be adopting on Tuesday.
One cat is a lilac point domestic shorthair with a little bit of Siamese mixed in there. She is female. Has beautiful ice blue eyes. Beautiful girl. She had had kittens but they all died. :/ She's quite mellow but she seems to me a little shy. I picked her up and sat with her and she stayed on my lap. In fact, she clung to me. Like, hugged me. She seemed scared. Then, I sat her next to me, but she turned her back. Her ears were flat on her head. She didn't seem to care when I picked her up and held her. Later, she kind of hid in the way back of the cage and didn't come to me. When I first saw her, she was in the very front of the cage and she kind of was on her back, half belly up. I think she was rubbing herself and I caught her mid rub, haha.
I'm scared of her shyness and that she will run under a dresser the second I bring her home. I like social cats a lot, cats that almost always like to be around people not by herself.
Okay, second cat was a more full seal pointed Siamese. He may be mixed with domestic medium hair, but he definitely has signifacent amount siamese. Beautiful boy, also blue eyes. He was very actively trying to get me to pet him. He would rub up against the cage. Yet he would kind of claw at my hand a little, so what's that about? Maybe he was trying to get out of the cage. He purred even when I picked him up though. He came down from the bench to me to be pet but then tried to run off. I had to catch him.
I'm scared of him using his claws a lot and that he'd run off and wouldn't be cuddly and sleep with me for instance.
He is 1 year old and the female is 4 years old.
Which do you think would be a good choice? I love cats that act like dogs, and that love to cuddle up in bed.
Would getting a kitten be good? Not a baby kitten but an older kitten. Also, is it bad that they try to claw or scratch you a little bit? How long does it take a cat to get used to your family?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 05:04 AM

I would pick the girl cat, just because she's older, she's a mix, and she just seems like she needs love more than the other kitty. He's friendlier, younger, and not a mix so he'll probably get adopted easier than she will. You never know what she'll be like once you get her home. Right now she is probably just scared but in a home environment she would probably be more comfortable.

Ads

a baby kitten can become like a loving child if you get it young enough as it views you as it's family, mother, etc.

If you want a loving cat later - that is the best way to go.

but it is also important for people to adapt unwanted cats so you are giving them what they want - even though they may not respond to you the way you would want them too - although they will eventually is you love them.

I would say - since you looked at 2 of them - adopt both of them and get a kitten.

3's company

Stop spamming with the same question and read my answer the first time you asked this.

You are likely seeing an artificial situation due to them being in a shelter.

First of all, almost all new cats once in a home go into hiding. They find a place they feel safe, and explore at night. It can take a short or even a longer time before they are always out. A few days is normal.

Ears flat against the head is a warning sign. They are frightened. In the context of what you described, difficult to draw any conclusions.

For the boy, reaching out and not having his claws entirely retracted isn't a bit deal. Doesn't seem from your description that the claws are meant for defense.

Now, if you want a guaranteed cuddly pet, a cat may not fit your bill. They can be cuddly all the time, or only on their terms, and that can change. Cats are not dogs.

And being cuddly in bed often means how much of the bed they allow you to use. Cats have a great ability to take control of most of the bed, leaving you only a narrow strip to sleep.

Oh, a Siamese is a vocal kitty. Now they are not all Siamese, but I don't know how much of their vocalization they retained.

At one year old, he is very much a kitten. At four years, she is transitioning into adult behavior, which usually starts around age three.