This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do you believe in (ANY) God?
10-14-2012, 05:00 AM
Why do you believe in (ANY) God?
I am an atheist. I have been an atheist for the 13 years and two weeks of my life. I really tried to believe in this stuff but I just couldn't. I have got a couple of Christian friends though. I am trying to understand WHY people believe in God and the bible. I am not bashing your belief in any way, I just want to know why some people think that there is a god.

And by the way, could people please not just say "because there is a god" or that you'll pray for me. I don't want prayed for, I just want to know why people believe in stuff like this.

Why are you adhering to any monotheistic doctrines?

*This question was sparked by the trending topic on twitter No God*
Thank you for all of your answers. imrod, your answer is the best so far in my opinion. Thank you for your input.

For the atheists, I suggest that you look at the wonders of Tim Minchin. He is an australian pianist/rockstar/atheist and I find him inspirational. Could you please look at one song in particular too. I can't say its name here because even that is rude. hang on, I will use the humble asterisk. It is called Ten Foot C**k and a few hundred virgins. WARNING THOUGH it is rude. Just thought I would let people know about a song that has been written about atheism.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 05:08 AM

I'll pray for you.

Ads

I don't.......................

I am starting to think i don't.

Because Iluvatar is awesome.

http://theseatree.deviantart.com/art/The...-120483570

And that is only his EYE.

I was brought up Roman catholic.
Even at a young age the whole notion of gods seemed silly.
Now I'm older and more educated it seems even more silly!

I'm a former atheist too, Jodie! I credit the Virgin Mary with obtaining the grace of my conversion when I was going through a difficult time in my life. For anyone wishing to truly know God, I recommend praying the rosary regularly. See the following promises.

The rosary is explained here:
http://www.medjugorje.org/rosary.htm

The fifteen promises of Mary to Christians who recite the rosary:
1. Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary shall receive signal graces.
2. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against Hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.
4. It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.
6. Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries, shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just, he shall remain in the grace of God and become worthy of eternal life.
7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.
8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death, they shall participate in the merits of the saints in Paradise.
9. I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
10. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.
11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.
12. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
13. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire Celestial Court during their life and at the hour of death.
14. All who recite the Rosary are my sons, and brothers of my only Son, Jesus Christ.
15. Devotion to my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.

God bless!
Dave

(Romans 1:20) . . .For his invisible [qualities] are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable;

I guess my reason for being a theist is fundamentally, the world makes no sense at all without a God. I can't swallow the notion that everything just came to be, that disorder organized itself, that life came out of lifelessness, that intelligence just came into existence out of no where. I can't believe that something just decided to crawl out of the water and magically developed lungs, or that a creature becomes some other kind of creature just because it runs faster. I can't understand why there is a flat universe if there was a big bang that spewed everything everywhere except it didn't spew in all directions at all. I can't buy into the fact that life is purposeless when I know it is not. I can't buy into the thinking that the life of a frog is as important as a baby. A conclusion that an honest evolutionist must arrive at.

If there is a God he must have revealed himself. I believe my heart seeks him. I believe I see his handiwork in the world, in the universe and in my life.

I know you may not agree, but you asked, and I answered. How can you criticize me for honestly answering your question.

I believe in my Gods because I have actually experienced a connection with them.

Additionally, my belief comforts me and gives me strength, courage, patience and hope.

The difference is that I don't insist others have to believe the way I do, or that they behave the way I think is morally right. I don't claim my way to be the only true way, and I respect that others may not believe the way I do.

I don't adhere to monotheistic doctrines. My Gods are Father Sun, Mother Earth and Sister Moon, and I thank them for their bounty.

I was raised Catholic, but gave it up for lent, and spent near eight years as a questing agnostic before finding Wicca.

To each, their own.