This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I want to start working as a photographer on weekends?
02-18-2014, 01:20 AM
I want to start working as a photographer on weekends?
I'd describe myself as a boyond-amateur photographer, but not professional. I have an idea to earn very little money by doing photosessions in London on weekends. I've seen good photographers who are asking for 100+ pound for an hour, whereas I could do it for 25-30 pounds in hour. Since I believe I'm decent photographer, I think some people could be interested in my photos. But here comes the main problem, how do I find clients? Where should I advertise myself? Facebook or twitter are not very suitable for me because I don't like being annoying and using friends as an advertisment.
Any suggestions how to get noticed?
If it appears that I'm not what I think about myself, anyways I feel like I should give it a try.

If anyone is interested, here's a few of my photos: http://500px.com/akalikin

I do want to emphasise that I'm going to do low-cost sessions, which technically should not affect the quality or my interest. This is just the amound of money I'm ready to work for to be happy for now

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2014, 01:33 AM

I don't have any insider knowledge, but I will try to help.

First of all I do agree about using social media for marketing can be annoying. However, on Twitter, the trick is not to tweet too often (or it appears like spam). And your associates are not your 'friends' (a misnomer, IMO) but just your 'followers'.

Secondly, in business I come cheap, but I aim to be at the lowest end of the market rate. For example, if the most expensive photographers charge £100, and the cheapest £50, I'll ask for the £50. By being well below the norm you can scare off potential clients, who may think you are dodgy. Therefore maybe bill higher than you originally thought.

Thirdly, whatever, I think you should market yourself to poorer organisations, viz. charities and other social enterprises. Also probably schools and colleges.

Therefore I suggest the following Marketing Strategy :-

- visit your local Business Links:
for marketing advice and training;

- do your Market Research and
write a Business Plan;

- start a Pinterest blog:
to display your photo samples;

- still use the blogger Twitter:
to advertise via #hashtags;

- join any London photo'y forums:
to find yourself client contacts;

- email/write to organisations:
to ask for a prospecting meeting.

Remember to keep a 'Cash Book' (either manual or electronic).

Also, ensure there is sufficient 'cashflow' at all times. Therefore draw as little 'gross profit' out as your personal/private income. Keep the rest flowing in your business.

I stress that this is vital! Do *not* use your business income as a pot of gold to fund your personal/private life.

Good luck....

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply