This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's up with the Hashtags on social media?
02-18-2014, 03:40 PM
What's up with the Hashtags on social media?
Maybe I'm just getting old, but I just don't get it. I know the Hashtag has been used on Twitter for a while, although I don't understand the meaning of it. I don't use Twitter but I do use Facebook, and now a lot of my friends are using Hashtags on their posts. So somebody tell me what it's supposed to mean, what the purpose is.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2014, 03:54 PM

Hashtags on twitter connect different tweets all into one post. On Facebook people just type it just because.

Ads

02-18-2014, 04:02 PM

its a metadata tag, if you did a search on yahoo answers in the search query it would generator the same word that you just typed in that search. If I searched hashtag your post would come up because the word hashtag is a association with what I just search. also could be a play on words to be cleaver.

I hate dogs #(some guys name)

or when you posted this question you went to Home > All Categories > Social Science > Other - Social Science >

each one of these are hashtags. so if you went to social science it would generate questions from social science search query and this question would come up.
02-18-2014, 04:06 PM

I think the purpose is to discuss a certain topic.
For example, take the Hashtag trending yesterday, #PaxEast.
This was a Hashtag for people going to Pax East.
So it's just a way for a topic to standout.
02-18-2014, 04:11 PM

hashtag is basically a keyword. It lets people find other posts about the same thing.