This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why did God allow such pain and suffering?
02-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Why did God allow such pain and suffering?
Three weeks ago, someone who I went to High School with passed away from alcohol poisoning. It happened suddenly, when he overdosed on alcohol the night before, while visiting the college dorm of a friend. The pain my friends have felt has been beyond words. And the pain I felt have for my community (which I do not live in anymore) has been great as well. While I was not as close to this guy as others, the reason why the tragedy has been so hard for me, is as follows. 1. This death was a senseless tragedy that could have easily been avoided. 2. Knowing that his closest friends are going to feel horrible and empty for weeks to come (even if they hide it well). 3. I don't live in my hometown anymore, so although I've been praying for them, I can't reach out to them physically. 4. I have never had something this tragic happen in my hometown that has affected so many people I grew up with. 5. I had to watch my friends suffer.

There has been good out of this situation (much prayer and support by me and others), yet it's still hard. Many people are now going through an angry phase, and people I sent messages of encouragement to on Facebook when the tragedy first happened, now want nothing to do with me. Some even blocked me out of Facebook. One person even told me that when he first heard the news, he cut himself up and ended up in the hospital! No one should have to endure this. I will keep praying!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2014, 04:49 PM

Because God does not control the stupid and ridiculous decisions we make. And pain and suffering is part of life, as is death.

Ads

02-18-2014, 04:57 PM

It is a difficult time for you, but work through it and you'll be okay. I don't share the same faith as you, but I believe it is said that God gave man free will - as a consequence man will make mistakes.

All the best.
02-18-2014, 05:14 PM

I&#x27;ve heard Christians say that God needs us to suffer as payment for our sins. Another person said that it&#x27;s because whoever was harmed&#x2F;killed didn&#x27;t &quot;believe&quot; in God enough. I don&#x27;t believe in a god, because if he was all loving he surely would have helped during a lot of crises, like the Holocaust or famines in Africa.
02-18-2014, 05:30 PM

Salaam this is just a test from Allah the most high be patient and he will reward u he is just testing ur faith Wink
02-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
~Epicurus
02-18-2014, 05:46 PM

That's really sad, and I feel for you and your friends, but the simple reality is the bad things do happen by chance to good people all the time, for no apparent reason other than that life on earth is complicated.

It's just a fact of life those of us left have to learn to deal with.

Time will make the pain lessen.
02-18-2014, 05:55 PM

with this body and this life...we are free to choose.

he didnt choose well
02-18-2014, 06:09 PM

Every year, hundreds of children die from starvation; many praying every day. The only thing bringing them food and taking care of them are people.

Stop using religion as a crutch and start taking responsibility and taking care of each other.
02-18-2014, 06:16 PM

All pain and suffering provides opportunities for spiritual growth. Sometimes people prefer not to grow from the experience. In any case, you are looking at tragedies from a purely physical lens. The perspective in the spiritual realm is quite different.

I am sorry for your loss. Life presents constant opportunities for us to learn how to love unconditionally. Your friend will get new opportunities to grow. Souls are immortal.

Love is all that matters.