This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another facebook question. please answer!?
02-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Another facebook question. please answer!?
From what i understand, your profile is private if set up that way. Anyone's profile you decide to view (friend or not) is also private and the owner can never know who has viewed their profile, pics, videos, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Please include in your answer how you know this. Earlier, someone told me people can see if you have visited their page, but did not provide a reason for why he or she thinks they know this. I am still questioning if there are apps.or other ways this info. can be found out. Thanks.
My question is: Can this change one day? Can facebook suddenly decide they want to reveal everything to everybody no matter how long ago it was.

I do not know if this is true, but I read somewhere that Canada will not even allow facebook because the privacy issues are of big concern.
Thanks ThePurple. Some of that was helpful, but I have to say I still have questions. Does the possibility exist that facebook can sell facebook and all our information with it? In that case all rules now could change later. Is it true they own our pictures? This is why I will not post a pic.

Lastly, I am aware of what facebook posts there, but I am not too trusting and the way it is worded sounds suspect to me. It does not say anything about videos so I am not sure if that is something others can find out about you viewing??

Also when it says, "Recent Activity will never be shown about:", what does that mean?? I do not like the word recent. It is rather ambiguous to me. When I read that I wanted to know more. It needs to be further explaned and should say ALL ACTIVITY regarding Blah, blah and blah will never be shown to anyone anywhere on their page. It will not change in the future. Your info. is always private and will never be sold to anyone. However, X can be seen.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2014, 05:54 PM

I don't know what they'll change in the future, but as of right now, no, there's no possible way you can see who is viewing your profile.

Ads

02-18-2014, 06:06 PM

On Facebook's privacy page, it says the following quote:

"Recent Activity will never be shown about:
Pokes
Whose photos you view
Whose notes you read
Groups and Events you decline to join
People you reject as friends
People you remove from your friends
Notes and photos you delete"

From that, I assume that Facebook would not just change their policy. Also, Facebook has tendency to let users vote on changes to the privacy policy. If, for some strange reason, they suddenly decided that it would be a good idea to allow this, you would receive plenty of warning. I guarantee that such a huge change to Facebook's privacy policy would get plenty of media coverage as well.

As far as how I know that the apps are not allowed to be used as a way to bypass the privacy settings, I will give you and example. A little bit ago, there was a burger king application that encouraged users to delete 10 of their extra friends. In exchange for this, users would receive a free whopper. Each friend who was deleted was sent a notification from the application, because that was how it was meant to continue growing. Facebook had the application deleted because it violated their privacy policy in that Facebook specifically tells users that others will not know when they remove them as a friend. I can only assume that the future actions of the Facebook staff would agree with their past actions and that they have and would take steps to remove any applications that allow users to see who has searched for them. Their privacy policy is in place for a reason and Facebook does everything it can to make sure that it is enforced. They will not retroactively reveal information that has specifically been prohibited, even if the policy does change. The fact is that the current policy is the one the determines how much information is revealed about user searches that happen at this time. If they ever did change their policy to allow this information to be seen, it would first have to be approved by users and even then it would not apply to past searches because that would still violate the current policy, even if a new policy was put into effect at a later date. That new policy would only apply to user activity that occurred during the time frame that the new policy was in effect.

As far as Canada, see the link in my sources. It is true that Canada had issues with Facebook's due to privacy, but it was not outright banned. Instead, Facebook is making changes to fit with Canada's privacy laws.