This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Management Minor in Marketing, good to have a degree in?
02-19-2014, 06:55 AM
Management Minor in Marketing, good to have a degree in?
Okay, so I'm a junior in high school. I'm just taking down notes and exploring right now. And lately, an associate or bachelors degree in Management Minor in Marketing doesn't sound so bad. The kind of jobs and environment that I like are the office life, where you have your own cubby, dealing with paperwork and computer files and whatnot. I like to socialize, and I also like telling people what to do, not the other way around so much. So are the jobs that this degree will get me great? As in will the salary just keep me alive, or that and more?

My other choice of degree is education. I want to be a history teacher. But that's my backup plan. And I really don't want to get to this, because I dread the idea of having to wake up at 6 in the morning everyday until retirement, and I know teachers don't get so much either.. So really, this is my 'if all fails' backup backup plan.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 07:06 AM

The job market for someone teaching just history is not very good. It depends on where you live. If you could get certification in teaching social science (which generally includes history) it will make you more attractive as a candidate.

Marketing is a huge area. It generally includes sales and advertising as a subcategory. The job outlook is good, especially in areas such as sales and social media (web marketing).

I would try to go a four year college- depending on cost. . Having an undergraduate business degree or concentration in business and marketing might work for you. If you like History, by all means take it as a minor or elective. You might even want to take some education courses as electives -- just in case you want to branch off into teaching. There is no reason why you cannot graduate with a 4 year degree that will let you keep your options open.

Just one more piece of advice -- learn to listen. Telling people what to do is great, but your success in life will also be due to listening to people and getting them to do what you want by inspiration, and not just by "telling" them.

You might find this interesting. I majored in European History as an undergrad, got my MBA in Marketing and ended up working in information technology research and publishing. I would not be surprised if in 10 years we fine you working in a career field different than what you studies.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply