This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why would you learn a language?
02-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Why would you learn a language?
What are the reasons for learning a language? I am currently trying to figure out a language i would like to learn but cannot decide so i am wondering what are the factors of why people learn a language or why they should learn a language please make it very informative to help me better understand on what language i would learn and why i would want to learn that one. Thanks.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 08:29 AM

The reasons for learning a language I can think of.

-A want to travel to the country
-Expand employment opportunities
-High population of a language in area EI Texas has lots of mexicans

Ads

02-19-2014, 08:30 AM

- you want to talk with people who don't speak yours

- you don't want to confine yourself to what happens to be sayable in your native one

- you want to show the world you're not a complete moron

- you want to prevent or postpone getting alzheimers

- you want to be able to give your native-language-brainparts a well-earned rest once in a while

- you want more career-options

As to which one to learn, I recommend you learn Esperanto first. Its speakers are scattered across rthe globe, it's by far the easiest language to learn, and knowing it will help you learn other languages faster ( wikipedia Propaedeutic_value_of_esperanto )
02-19-2014, 08:36 AM

See "Why should I learn a language?" : http://www.omniglot.com/language/why.htm
02-19-2014, 08:51 AM

Hey! I'm studying Japanese and have been for almost two years. I love the language and it is amazing.

Why I am learning it:

-To read materials not in my own language. I watch anime and usually English mangas are not translated the best so reading the Japanese one is amazing.

-Talking to people who don't speak English or little English. I talk to people on Twitter who speak some or little to know English an it's an amazing experince.

-It's fun. Since it's a personal choice, you should enjoy it. I study Japanese like crazy because I enjoy it.

-Traveling- If you wanna travel, and I want to go to Japan..I need to know the language. I like talking in a different language.

-Differences in languages. Japanese is harder than English which makes it interesting but hard, I like having a good challenge. It's also just cool to explore another language.

-More materials: I can buy games in Japanese, download apps and read basic stuff. Also, just giving a person more options on something to do like reading and talking.
02-19-2014, 09:01 AM

I am learning Turkish because I am an Iranian ethnically Turk and I can speak Azerbaijani which is very close to Turkish language and I can speak Persian too.